Developer Day Toronto

pallen

QUOTE (pallen @ Apr 15 2008, 03:22 AM)

I'll be taking a crack at the CLAD exam they're offering there. Hope I studied enough.

Using LabVIEW since 2002? You should do fine ;)

Just be wary of "tricky" worded questions... An hour is more than enough time to go through the exam, and go back and review the ones you weren't 100% certain of before submitting it (I'm assuming that they are still using a PC-based exam that allow you to mark questions for review).

QUOTE (orko @ Apr 15 2008, 01:06 PM)

Using LabVIEW since 2002? You should do fine ;)

Just be wary of "tricky" worded questions...

Using since 2002. Not necessarily using properly since 2002. :rolleyes:

I know I got at least one question wrong. For some reason I thought DataSocket used UDP instead of TCP. :oops:

That means I can get 11 more questions wrong and still pass.

The free CLAD exam was just icing really though. The event was well worth attending.

I attended the Track 2 sessions. The afternoon session on plug-in architectures and VI Server was especially timely for me. I am just getting rolling on a very important project. But because of its nature, we will never see a test part at our facility. So essentially I will be running for the first time at the customers site. For that reason, I am trying to keep everything as dynamic as possible. Hopefully this will make changes and fixes a little less painful.

I still have not decided exactly how I will pass data between VIs. Queues? Functional Globals? Shared Variables?

I am going to run a few tests and see what works best for me.

QUOTE (pallen @ Apr 18 2008, 09:09 AM)

Oh, I've been there... and know exactly what you mean.

I still have not decided exactly how I will pass data between VIs. Queues? Functional Globals?
Shared Variables
?

I am going to run a few tests and see what works best for me.

That's the best way to find out. There are many opinions on this, but personally I like using functional globals for settings/initialization parameter/state storage (ie: ini file settings, engine state, etc), and queues for communications/synchronization between threads (ie: you do this, you do that). I don't like to talk about the other method you listed. ;)

I've never use Shared Variables myself. But I've read about some problems with them. So I'll avoid them for now.

I've been thinking about running my DAQ loops as Daemons. Then passing the data out of them either using Queues or even FGs.

I've got a bunch of different devices. None acquiring all that quickly. But I do need to merge them all together into a log file that will record most of the sensors at 50Hz.

The biggest question I still have is how long the "test" will be. Unfortunately that's one I don't have an answer for yet. If it's only a few minutes, I can "hold" all the data in memory and then write the log file when the test is complete. Otherwise, I may have to stream the data to the disk somehow.

I'll be trying to simulate this later this week.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has been to the http://www.ni.com/devday/' target="_blank">Developer Day and if you have any feedback on the various sessions offered. I just registered for the one coming up in Seattle on May 15th and I'm trying to decide which sessions to attend. Right now I'm leaning towards LVOOP and Improving Performance, but if anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them. Offered sessions are:

1st Session: LabVIEW Object-Oriented Programming: Introductory Concepts, Use Cases and Best Practices or Managing application development with the LabVIEW Project

2nd Session: Improving the Performance of your LabVIEW Applications or Advanced LabVIEW Programming Concepts for Multicore Systems

QUOTE (TobyD @ Apr 28 2008, 04:46 PM)

I'll be attending the one in Phoenix on May 15th and can report back. However, my choice for topics is easy. Since Mr. LVOOP will be presenting...I'm taking full advantage and going to all the OO-focussed presentations.