Automated VI design

I have a question about automatically generating vi's.

Is it possible in some way to generate a vi by use of parameters? I mean from another programming langauge.

for instance something where we create 2 controls, 1 add function and 1 indicator? without opening LabVIEW?

for instance we use VBA under Excel to do this kind of things?

Thanks for your help.

QUOTE (Antoine @ May 16 2008, 10:47 AM)

Yes, you can do that, we call this "scripting"

I'm not sure that's what's being asked for - I think what you're after is those scripting capabilities to be exposed outside of the LabVIEW development environment. I'm not privvy to that information (that's really a question for NI), but I strongly doubt it's available.

QUOTE (Mobile-it @ May 16 2008, 10:10 AM)

I have a question about automatically generating vi's ...

Code that writes it's own VI's? Whatsamattawityou? Dis is a family bidness ova heah. Watch your mouth or you'll be sleepin' wit dah fishes. Kapeesh? :)

QUOTE (Mobile-it @ May 16 2008, 10:10 AM)

for instance something where we create 2 controls, 1 add function and 1 indicator? without opening LabVIEW?

I am not sure what you are asking to do.

If all of the VI's you want to open are of that form then a re-entrant VI will let you open and run as many as you want (memory limited).

If you want to controll which operator (add, sutract, etc) then again a re-entrant VI with an option switch wil work.

if you want to allow the user to define their own set of opertors, then life get complicated.

Trying to help,

Ben

QUOTE (Mobile-it @ May 16 2008, 08:10 AM)

Is it possible in some way to generate a vi by use of parameters? I mean from another programming langauge.

for instance we use VBA under Excel to do this kind of things?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Mobile-it,

While creating one program from the output of another is fairly common in the text world, it's pretty hard in LV. It's even harder to specify a text language that captures the code structure of vi's.

I would suspect that NI has the tools and knowledge to do this, but it's not available to the general public.

Joe Z.