Weakly Typed to Strict Typed VI Refnum.

Hi

I want to open a ref to a VI, make changes to the front panel, launch the VI in a subpanel, then close the VI and do not need to save changes. I want to open a weakly typed reference to make the FP changes (for reuseable subVIs) and I need a strictly typed to use the call by reference node.

My questions are:

1) Can I coerce between the weakly typed and strictly typed refs?

2) Is there any problems with having two refs open at the same time as I launch the plugin - should I clean up my refs a different way? (NB: I have to keep the VI in memory to keep the changes or I will lose them).

post-10325-1212937387.png?width=400

For Q1 I thought maybe something like this may work? But not.

post-10325-1212937989.png?width=400

Cheers

JG

QUOTE (jgcode @ Jun 8 2008, 10:17 AM)

1) Can I coerce between the weakly typed and strictly typed refs?
No. Although LV will let you typecast one into another, you'll find that it doesn't work as you would expect it to work. When you open a strongly-typed VI reference, the VI is actually reserved for running. Just typecasting will not do this reservation, and trying to use such a refnum with the CBR node will just give you an error.

2) Is there any problems with having two refs open at the same time as I launch the plugin - should I clean up my refs a different way? (NB: I have to keep the VI in memory to keep the changes or I will lose them).

No problem at all. Open the weak ref first, do your edits, then open the strong ref to do the CBR.

QUOTE (Aristos Queue @ Jun 9 2008, 07:45 AM)

No. Although LV will let you typecast one into another, you'll find that it doesn't work as you would expect it to work. When you open a strongly-typed VI reference, the VI is actually reserved for running. Just typecasting will not do this reservation, and trying to use such a refnum with the CBR node will just give you an error.

No problem at all. Open the weak ref first, do your edits, then open the strong ref to do the CBR.

Thanks heaps AQ! :beer: