Do a VI deallocate RAM ?

Hello LAVAs,

I have a big table 25 Columns and about 800000 Raws and user can select which column(s) he want to plot. My plot VI is always the same, I configured it as reentrant and start it using Invoke Node. I did Dispose Ref as True and hope if one clone will be closed, than used memory will be deallokated.

Thank you

QUOTE (Eugen Graf @ Jun 10 2008, 11:06 PM)

Hello LAVAs,

I have a big table 25 Columns and about 800000 Raws and user can select which column(s) he want to plot. My plot VI is always the same, I configured it as reentrant and start it using Invoke Node. I did Dispose Ref as True and hope if one clone will be closed, than used memory will be deallokated.

Thank you

Hi,

I don't really know how graph memory is handled but anway my best advice is : do not put 800k values, just put about 5-10 values per pixel (-> check the graph area size). I've saved a lot of memory with this technique.

Hope this can help.

QUOTE (Antoine @ Jun 10 2008, 11:26 PM)

Hi,

I don't really know how graph memory is handled but anway my best advice is : do not put 800k values, just put about 5-10 values per pixel (-> check the graph area size). I've saved a lot of memory with this technique.

Hope this can help.

Ok, but the graph will be zoomed. Almost each point is needed. Not the whole plot, but I can`t decide which parts are not needed, it`s unknown and variable.

QUOTE (Eugen Graf @ Jun 10 2008, 02:31 PM)

Ok, but the graph will be zoomed. Almost each point is needed. Not the whole plot, but I can`t decide which parts are not needed, it`s unknown and variable.

If you've got that much data I would recommend calculating the portion of data that needs to be shown at a given zoom level and extracting just that portion from storage (similar to what Antoine suggested), then displaying that on the graph.

I'm not sure off-hand if you can catch all the relevant mouse events for zooming/scrolling/etc. from the graph display, but if you can catch all the events you need, then you can trigger a refresh of the graph as necessary.

QUOTE (crelf @ Jun 11 2008, 02:38 AM)

LOL

QUOTE (crelf @ Jun 11 2008, 02:38 AM)

Sounds like a job for an

It really does, I've been working on a set of VIs to efficiently -well as efficiently as I could- manage large data sets to be displayed on a graph.

I'll share what I came up with. I guess the amount of work to wrap this into an xcontrol is not huge..

I was concidering putting a OpenG package request on this, and share my code as a starting point. Has anyone been working on this too ?

QUOTE (neB @ Jun 11 2008, 03:02 PM)

With the aim of sharing it on LAVA's Code Repository ? :rolleyes:

QUOTE (neB @ Jun 11 2008, 03:02 PM)

Dr. Gray's article on
would be incorporated in to same.

Thanks for the link to this article. Interesting code attached !! I haven't been that far :blink:

QUOTE (Antoine @ Jun 11 2008, 09:18 AM)

With the aim of sharing it on LAVA's Code Repository ? :rolleyes:

Don't hold your breath. Those kind of things only get developed in my spare time and between re-modeling of my rental property, plus a modular home my son is purchasing, along with car maitenance, I will not be dropping any nodes for that project until well after the snow starts to fly.

Ben

QUOTE (crelf @ Jun 11 2008, 03:30 PM)

I think that's an excellent idea.

Some cleaning over the week-end and off we go ! ;)

QUOTE (neB)

Don't hold your breath. Those kind of things only get developed in my spare time and between re-modeling of my rental property, plus a modular home my son is purchasing, along with car maitenance, I will not be dropping any nodes for that project until well after the snow starts to fly.

Ohh, ok... Then I hope you'll have time to participate in the improvement/developpement when it starts :)