Best/closest hotels?

Tom Bress

QUOTE (Tom Bress @ Jun 26 2008, 01:29 PM)

This will be my first NI Week. Any recommendations on local hotels? I saw the list on the NI website, but I've never been to Austin before. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Here's my list:

• The Hilton is great because it is across the street and is pretty nice (pool, etc.) -- This is where a lot of the LAVA'ers (including me) are staying.
  • The Omni has the best service for the price -- the rooms aren't as big, since it's an older hotel. I saw Quentin Tarantino staying there, last year, when he was filming 66th Grand Prix of Monaco
  • The Driskill is more expensive (although not ridiculous) and has the best service and a cool vibe (piano bar, hide-covered couches, etc).
  • The Courtyard Austin Downtown-Convention Center is also very close.

QUOTE (Jim Kring @ Jun 26 2008, 02:01 PM)

Here's my list:

• The Hilton is great because it is across the street and is pretty nice (pool, etc.) -- This is where a lot of the LAVA'ers (including me) are staying.
  • The Omni has the best service for the price -- the rooms aren't as big, since it's an older hotel. I saw Quentin Tarantino staying there, last year, when he was filming 66th Grand Prix of Monaco
  • The Driskill is more expensive (although not ridiculous) and has the best service and a cool vibe (piano bar, hide-covered couches, etc).
  • The Courtyard Austin Downtown-Convention Center is also very close.

I stayed at the Courtyard last year (my first NI Week) and will be staying there again this year as I enjoyed it. It was very comfortable, spacious room with a good internet connection and other amenities. I also stay at Courtyards a lot so I have award points to use, which helps with the expense. If I'd KNOWN that everyone who is everyone is staying at the Hilton I might have chosen to be there instead....<sigh>. Actually all of the properties Jim mentioned are close, convenient and IMO good, even though the Driskill is more expensive.

BTW does anyone know if reservations/payments are being taken yet for the BarBQ???

I've stayed at the Hampton Inn for 3 years.

- good price

- about a 2 block walk to the convention center

- nice rooms with free broadband internet

- a happy hour with free tap beer, wine, and snacks every evening around 5pm

- free hot breakfast every morning to supplement NIWeek's meager one

They might not be on the hotel list but they were a couple years back and I just keep asking if they have a NIWeek discount and they give me one. They're usually comparable with the Radisson for price.