Basic Mods to LabVIEW Search Dialog

I don't how many times I've had to re-engineer LabVIEW code and trying to document critical areas of the code base. I'm suggesting the ability to dump the contents of the the "Search Results" dialog to text file - simple wouldn't you think? Any suggestions on how this file list may be dumped with LV 8.2.1 would be appreciated.

-Chroma

I don't think there's any way of interacting with that dialog, as it's part of the IDE and not written in G. You might be able to access its data through some OS API calls, but that's just a guess.

What's the use case for something like this? If you want to document where a VI is called, the hierarchy window or a screenshot with the Callers menu item open might be better for you.

If you're searching for something other than a VI (e.g. an unbundled cluster element), I'm not sure there's anything you can do, but you might wish to refactor the code to use any form of OOP. That should change those points to be in a single VI, but is a lot of work.

If you want to be able to modify the code and see what the differences are, source code control (e.g. Subversion, which is free) would be better, but you could also just copy the hierarchy to another place on your hard drive.

I agree that it might be useful to take more information from the search results dialog for your use case, but from what it sounds like your trying to do, you should just spend some simple time working /w VI Server to find all callers of a specific vi or typedef.

What is it that you're searching for in particular.

A string in a VI, a typedef, a constant, a VI reference....

What are you trying to document about the code.