NI-IMAQ vision using network camera

Hi i'm new in this forum, my question is related to my thesis that i'm working right now, my problem if you could help me, is that i can't see any images from the network camera wich i'm working with, i have read some tutorials where they say that i have to use an ActiveX container, but now i'm lost. These are the tools that i'm using:

-Labview 7.1

-NI-IMAQ Vision 7.1

-Network Camera (veo europe observer plus)

The point of this project is to realise a system wich could recognize contours for example of a circle.

Thanks in advanced

What do you mean network camera???

Is it FireWire/GigE/USB?

USB cameras typically don't have great resolution or performance. They may need an additional driver downloadable from the NI website.

If its a Gigabit Ethernet camera, make sure jumbo packets are enabled in the ethernet card. You can use the NI-MAX (measurement & automation explorer) to detect cameras connected to your pc and then even grab an image or two, to see that those parts are working. Then you can start to use Vision Builder for Automated Inspection or the NI Vision Assistant to start.

I don't think you need the ActiveX container to view the images in your application. There is a Vision Display native to LabVIEW that can be used to display the images and any other features/regions of interest that you desire.

Start by reading the NI Vision Concepts Manual to see what is possible.

Neville.

QUOTE (Neville D @ Jul 8 2008, 01:19 PM)

What do you mean network camera???

Is it FireWire/GigE/USB?

USB cameras typically don't have great resolution or performance. They may need an additional driver downloadable from the NI website.

If its a Gigabit Ethernet camera, make sure jumbo packets are enabled in the ethernet card. You can use the NI-MAX (measurement & automation explorer) to detect cameras connected to your pc and then even grab an image or two, to see that those parts are working. Then you can start to use Vision Builder for Automated Inspection or the NI Vision Assistant to start.

I don't think you need the ActiveX container to view the images in your application. There is a Vision Display native to LabVIEW that can be used to display the images and any other features/regions of interest that you desire.

Start by reading the NI Vision Concepts Manual to see what is possible.

Neville.

Hi, what i mean with network camera (ip camera) is that my connection to the PC is a ethernet connection, and because of this i was using an dll (winweb.dll) because of some tutorials that i read but this isn't working, could you give some other pointers, or examples about this

lalo22

QUOTE (lalo22 @ Jul 8 2008, 11:45 AM)

Hi, what i mean with network camera (ip camera) is that my connection to the PC is a ethernet connection, and because of this i was using an dll (winweb.dll) because of some tutorials that i read but this isn't working, could you give some other pointers, or examples about this

lalo22

I doubt you will be able to work with this directly through LabVIEW or the vision package. Use your camera's software to acquire an image, save it as a png file, and then use the vision package to analyze what you want.

Or else get a camera that works with the Vision package. Check the NI website to see a list of supported cameras.

Neville.