strange database connect error

I use the DB connectivity toolkit from NI to connect to my mySQL database.

In my connect function , i have wired a username, password, and the udl file as inputs. Strangely, every so often (usually when i reboot the computer or wait about a half hour), i will get an error with the code "-2147287038" which isnt documented in the error codes library.

What is even stranger is when i regenerate the mysql.udl file, the error goes away, only to come back again a half hour later...

Any insight into what the problem is and how to fix it? The only thing i can think of is maybe the mySQL server is going away, and it needs something to kick it back... but a new file with the same filename and contents wouldnt seem to be the solution to that.

QUOTE (sisson @ Jul 14 2008, 01:53 PM)

In my connect function , i have wired a username, password, and the udl file as inputs. Strangely, every so often (usually when i reboot the computer or wait about a half hour), i will get an error with the code "-2147287038" which isnt documented in the error codes library.

Try an internet search for mySQL and 2147287038. There appear to be over 700 results when I tried. Remember that putting the - sign in there will eliminate results that have a 2147287038 in them.

Tim

QUOTE (Tim_S @ Jul 15 2008, 04:11 PM)

Try an internet search for mySQL and 2147287038. There appear to be over 700 results when I tried. Remember that putting the - sign in there will eliminate results that have a 2147287038 in them.

Tim

Trust me i've tried (and learned the hard way about the - sign)

It doesnt help much though... apparently it is an "unknown error", and the 3rd result of the search was this topic with me asking the question. kinda funny, huh?

i replaced the relative reference to my udl file with an absolute one, and for some reason i havent seen the error since then.

im keeping my fingers crossed (=

QUOTE (sisson @ Jul 15 2008, 01:46 PM)

Trust me i've tried (and learned the hard way about the - sign)

It doesnt help much though... apparently it is an "unknown error", and the 3rd result of the search was this topic with me asking the question. kinda funny, huh?

i replaced the relative reference to my udl file with an absolute one, and for some reason i havent seen the error since then.

im keeping my fingers crossed (=

The SQL Toolkit uses ADO, the Windows ActiveX implementation. It's error codes are therefore also really Windows error codes. Windows error codes for COM, the technology where ADO/ActiveX is build on, are all unsigned and normally hex formatted. Your error results in a code 0x80030002 and looking in the Widnnws SDK for this error code shows STG_E_FILENOTFOUND from the subcategory FACILITY_STORAGE.

So your guess that it has something to do with the UDL file does seem not so bad although it is not conclusive. It could be any other file involved in ADO handling of the database provider.

Rolf Kalbermatter