Color Spectrometer Plot Generation for LV8.5

mdoan

I've been developing some basic voltage acquisition software for accelerometer vibrations on engines. I've got it about finished, and have successfully been plotting waterfalls from live data.

My boss used HiQ 4.1 about 3 years ago to enhance the plots he is trying to get with LV8.5, and I just found out HiQ (outdated, but still viable) is unsupported past LV7. Is anyone aware of an alternative software that can accomplish similar, if not more basic functions than HiQ?

Considering how popular LV has grown, it seems like it would be more accessible than the $600 smackers HiQ used to be, if not freeware. Is it common for LV programmers to possibly publish their VI's online for the public, if not one that can do basic color spectrometer plots? I'm relatively new to the LabVIEW world, but I'm hooked. Thanks! Any response is appreciated.

QUOTE (mdoan @ Aug 14 2008, 10:16 AM)

I've been developing some basic voltage acquisition software for accelerometer vibrations on engines. I've got it about finished, and have successfully been plotting waterfalls from live data.

My boss used HiQ 4.1 about 3 years ago to enhance the plots he is trying to get with LV8.5, and I just found out HiQ (outdated, but still viable) is unsupported past LV7. Is anyone aware of an alternative software that can accomplish similar, if not more basic functions than HiQ?

Considering how popular LV has grown, it seems like it would be more accessible than the $600 smackers HiQ used to be, if not freeware. Is it common for LV programmers to possibly publish their VI's online for the public, if not one that can do basic color spectrometer plots? I'm relatively new to the LabVIEW world, but I'm hooked. Thanks! Any response is appreciated.

Yes HiQ has been gone for a while. You now have two options, Component Works 3D graph ships with LV and is very robust. THe other option is for LV 8.6 where NI has released a 3d-plot implelementaion that use the LV 3d picture. THis latter option is pure G but is still new nad has some limitaions. Of course if you are game for a challenging learining experience you could try to cut your teeth in LV by taking on the new version. So...

Check out the CW 3d graph.

Ben

The CWGraph3D is working well; thank you very much for the advice, I had no idea the 3Dgraphing software comes with LabVIEW nowadays.

The only issue I'm currently having deals with setting up a default template of coloring schemes, basic settings, etc., that will run every time rather than the default black fades to red fades to white. For example, I'd like the graph to have the lighting and coloring schemes preset to display as soon as live data is fed to it. As of right now, these can all be changed via dialog box, but only after the data has been plotted. Is this possible? The only property node links I can make sense of don't help much; they tend to adjust axis sizes, #of plots, font styles, etc. Thanks!

Michael

Update: I found where I believe the settings changes I desire can be adjusted, but it seems the only property nodes that can control the features I'd like, regarding default color combinations, are just not available with the system I'm using.

It's LV8.5 Full Development, which from what I understand should include quite a few standard features, but when I attempt to use the CWPlot3D property nodes, for example, which have the settings I'm looking for (ColorMapStyle and ColorMapColor), I can't create the actual control; it doesn't show up. I can only assume I don't have an updated version of Measurement Studio, as I can only access the CWGraph3D controls and properties. Am I missing anything else? Anyone mind educating me? Thank you,

Michael