Why Coercion Dot?

Hi,

I am building an array (array of Refnums) using the build array function. The refnums are of different data types (like boolean typa and ring control type). Now when i wire these to the input of the build array function i can see the coercion dots. Can some one let me know how can i convert the data type to avoid this coercion?

Please see the attached image (the one marked inside the RED Box)

The conversion pallete do not seems to have any built in vi to perform this.

The coercion dot is due to the fact that the refnums are for different data types. An array will take data elements of the same type so the refnums are converted to a more generic class refnum when you use build array. This can be observed if you use a refnum from output of build array and wire it to a property node. You will see that only generic properties for control are accessible.

My suggestion you can use a cluster instead of an array if you wish to preserve the original refnums.

See the attached image to remove the coercion dots.

QUOTE (JustinThomas @ Aug 20 2008, 01:29 AM)

The coercion dot is due to the fact that the refnums are for different data types. An array will take data elements of the same type so the refnums are converted to a more generic class refnum when you use build array. This can be observed if you use a refnum from output of build array and wire it to a property node. You will see that only generic properties for control are accessible.

My suggestion you can use a cluster instead of an array if you wish to preserve the original refnums.

See the attached image to remove the coercion dots.

Thanks Guys....it solved my problem