Baffeling runtime error. Anybody seen this before?

I'm getting the following runtime error when my LV 8.6 code encounters a TDMS Write VI.

post-2786-1220360087.jpg?width=400

The error makes no sense to me. The odd thing is that I have other TDMS Write VIs in my code that work fine. It's only when it encounters this VI in a particular place (I put a breakpoint right before it and the error pops up when I single step). I've tried replacing the VI, but that didn't help. Does anyone have any clue what this error means? Why the heck is MS Visual C++ involved?

George

I figured it out. I was feeding the VI a bad file reference. The error still seems all wrong to me though. Plus it shut down LV which seems totally unnecessary.

You are completely correct that merely wiring a bad file reference should not generate this error. This is the dialog that gets displayed when LV attempts something illegal or unexplainable, such as a VI jumping to an undefined memory address. It means you found a place where our compiler failed to generate valid code or the VI itself was somehow corrupted on disk. If this is repeatable, please please please post your situation on ni.com so the AEs can work with you to identify the problem and get it fixed in the next version of LV. We ought to be handling bad file reference more gracefully (ie merely returning an error code cluster).