Getting className of an IVI I/O control

I'm trying to figure out how to get the className of an IVI I/O control. See the enclosed picture that shows the variant value I get when I use a CTL property node to return the value.

Download File:post-2786-1222711224.bmp

The variant value shows the className that I'm trying to retrieve (in this case niDCPower). This className is what shows up if you right click on an IVI I/O control and then select Select IVI Class.

I tried converting to an XML string, but that doesn't return the value I need.

Any ideas on how to return this name?

George

QUOTE (Ton @ Sep 30 2008, 07:11 AM)

Unfortunately I couldn't load the probe because I don't have OpenG. But I was able to navigate to the Refnum case in your browse variant VI and saw where you use the Variant to Data VI with a Generic type that feeds a property node that gets the ClassName. That's pretty much what I had tried before and didn't work. I've also tried all the NI Variant tools.

I've inlcuded a quick and dirty VI in case someone has time to look at it. Forget about how I get the variant value (it simulates how I do it in my real VI). I generated the Variant value and then made it a control to make it easier to use. The VI wouldn't work if you don't have the PXI hardware (or have it simulated).

It bugs me that I can see the className right there in the variant value control, but can't figure out how to extract it. Any ideas would be welcome.

Download File:post-2786-1222782130.vi

George