Reading a text file from a remote computer

sharon08

QUOTE (sharon08 @ Nov 10 2008, 05:53 AM)

Sharon

There appears to be no attachment, maybe try to attached again.

One thing to suggest without seeing you VI is do you have firewalls on the computers and have they been configured to allow the traffic in ?

Edited --

I just noticed your multiple posting of this question, it is not a good idea to do multiple posts of a question in this way, you will just tend to turn people of giving any reply or help.

If the multiple posts have been you trying to add your attachment then do it in a reply instead of creating yet another new topic. If you cannot figure out how to attach your VI reply and ask for help.

Dannyt

Hi friends,

How to read a file from a computer connected on the same network using Labview VIs..?

when i entered the name(ip) of the computer..it is showing error,

"An input parameter is invalid.."

Please help me..

For your ref. I have attached the vi along with this post..

Thanks,

sharon

I have found your VI in one of your other topics you raised. I am not totally sure what it is your are trying to do are you.

Have you created a "shared" directory on a remote PC and and you are trying to read a file in that shared directory (if so your VI thought very basic should work) to check out your firewall settings (on both the remote and local PC) try and manually mount the remote shared directory.

.... or are you actually trying to log into a remote PC and access the file that way if that is the case you current Vi will not do anything for you.

Please provide more details

Dannyt

Sharon

One thing to suggest without seeing you VI is do you have firewalls on the computers and have they been configured to allow the traffic in ?

Edited --

I just noticed your multiple posting of this question, it is not a good idea to do multiple posts of a question in this way, you will just tend to turn people of giving any reply or help.

If the multiple posts have been you trying to add your attachment then do it in a reply instead of creating yet another new topic. If you cannot figure out how to attach your VI reply and ask for help.

Dannyt

Hi friends,

How to read a file from a computer connected on the same network using Labview VIs..?

when i entered the name(ip) of the computer..it is showing error,

"An input parameter is invalid.."

Please help me..

For your ref. I have attached the vi along with this post..

Thanks,

sharon

I have found your VI in one of your other topics you raised. I am not totally sure what it is your are trying to do are you.

Have you created a "shared" directory on a remote PC and and you are trying to read a file in that shared directory (if so your VI thought very basic should work) to check out your firewall settings (on both the remote and local PC) try and manually mount the remote shared directory.

.... or are you actually trying to log into a remote PC and access the file that way if that is the case you current Vi will not do anything for you.

Dannyt

QUOTE (dannyt @ Nov 10 2008, 06:11 PM)

Sharon

Edited --

Dannyt

Dannyt

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. But actually I pressed sumbit button only once.I dont know what happend..Im so sorry..

The problem is, there is a software running on the server machine. There are 'n' number of users and the software may be accessed by m(or max n) users parallelly. In the software there is a requirement to access the data locally and from the remote machine from where we are trying to access the server.

So I need to write a VI which can access the data from a remote machine. To start with, I wanted to open a text from my friend's machine considering my machine as the server. But i could nt. Do I need to write any TCP/IP kind of appilcations for this..???

Thanks,

Sharon

QUOTE (sharon08 @ Nov 12 2008, 12:13 AM)

To start with, I wanted to open a text from my friend's machine considering my machine as the server. But i could nt. Do I need to write any TCP/IP kind of appilcations for this..???

The first thing to do is to verify that you can access the file on your friends computer outside of LabVIEW. Can you browse to it using explorer, mapping a network drive, through an FTP server , etc? Let us know what access you have to the remote file and we can help you read it from LabVIEW.

Toby

QUOTE (sharon08 @ Nov 13 2008, 03:55 AM)

Ok that is a good start good, except I cannot see yet what the problem can be. You say you can access the file from your PC, can you actually open it with say a text editor ?

Your VI is OK and works for me, I can open a file on our remote server using an input like

\\some_server\Common_area\ATS\2008-08-28_12-15-09_Fail_.csv

if I enter

\\some_server\Common_area\ATS or \\some_server\Common_area\ATS\ then I get an error "Error 1059 unexpected file type" which is quite reasonable as I have specified a Directory and not a file, I assume you are not falling into that trap. If I leave Path blank then as expected the open file dialog pop's up as expected.

I played around and I could not get it to error with the message you had "An input parameter is invalid.."

Maybe expand you VI a little more, and before trying to use the read from spreadsheet VI do a couple of checks like "is PATH a directory or file" and use the "Check if file or folder exists". This might throw a little more light on the problem

Dannyt

QUOTE (sharon08 @ Nov 12 2008, 07:55 PM)

I agree with Danny. I think your path must be incorrect. I noticed your vi open with \\sgp1935c\\Dial_S_for_Success\Shiva.txt in the path. There is an extra backslash in there after the computer name. Could that be your problem? I was able to open remote files using UNC (\\computername\folder\filename.txt) with no problems.

QUOTE (dannyt @ Nov 13 2008, 07:18 AM)

It's http://forums.lavag.org/A-guide-on-how-to-behave-in-Forums-t12418.html#' target="_blank">the video you posted. It has inspired me to wait until I see someone give a good answer and then add "I Agree". It keeps my post count high. :thumbup: