Sending data between labview and MS access

Heey everyone,

We (TEK3B) are a class on the school FTHV in Venlo (netherlands), we study stuff like electronics and informatics so we can design and create automatic systems.

Now we`re doing a project on school, we have to create a automatic storage for cars (like the 'car-towers' in germany from volkswagen), in order to do this we also need to design a little labview software.

We need to know how we can send and receive data between Labview 7.1 and MS Access 2007. We need to create a database in MS Access which contains information about the cars in the storage (licens plate, what kind of car, which place they are stored in the storage). Once we have done that we needed to create a labview programm (using DDE) which can change the license plates of the cars in the database. We need to be able to type the new license plate in labview, labview must send this new license plate to MS Access and inside MS Access there must be a macro which is able to receive the data from labview and replace the old licensplate by the new one.

Here`s how it should communicate with eachother:

We typed in labview:

New licensplate: 55-ABC-5

Change on row: 4

Labview sends this data to MS Access

The macro in MS Access receives the licensplate 55-ABC-5 and rownumber 4.

Now the macro needs to change the licensplate on row 4 with the licensplate: 55-ABC-5

Could anyone give us a couple of tips or ideas so we can make all this.

We already got an example .vi from our teacher but that wasn`t very usefull. (I`ll post this vi as attachment)

We also know how to make a database in MS Access.

We seriously don`t know how to receive data (licensplate, a string?) from Labiew and read this data with a macro which uses this data to change the database.

I hope i explained our problem good enough so you people can understand it.

Thank you for your help and time

Hi,

I did look at doing this, but never got round to it. However I found the following resouces that might provide you with more information to move forward with.

There is a Database connectivity toolkit that might be work looking at LabvIEW connectivity toolkit

http://forums.lavag.org/Database-and-LabView-t987.html there are a number of links in this thread which may help you

http://forums.lavag.org/compacting-a-ms-ac...view-t5880.html

http://forums.lavag.org/Call-ing-an-MS-Acc...abview-t14.html

NI Forums : how to read/ write from a Access DB

also if you look at the NI examples shipped with LAbVIEW Help -> Find Examples

there is a number of LabVIEW database example VI under Communicating with External Applications \ Databases

I hope this is of some help.

dannyt

QUOTE (TEK3B @ Nov 27 2008, 12:38 AM)

Heey, thanks everyone for your help.

We decided to download the Database Connectivity Toolkit to communicate between labview and MS Access 2007, i dont have a clew about how it works but we`ll search on this forum for more information about using this toolkit.

Thanks everyone

Cya :D!

I've used it for several years now, specifically to interact with MS Access and have found it to quite robust and pretty well documented. Work through the examples as described in the manual and you should have no problem. You can use a macro in Access -- calling it from LV -- or you can simply write directly to the relevant table with LV code without creating and invoking a macro in Access.