My First Labview... Help everyone!

mindmoody

Helloo....

everyone,i'm a new user to this labview and this is my first project..can anyone tell me how to create the interface board to be controlled by this labview.I have searched that we should used MAX232 but is still does not found out how to design the circuit yet.Should anyone help me..i also accept any website, ebooks sources..Plzzz...Help me...\

Regards,

MindMoody

:(

Could you be a bit more specific?

LabVIEW can interact in many ways with the outside world, what board are you connecting to?

I'm not familier with MAX232, only with Max (NI's Measurement and Automation Explorer) and RS232 (a serial interface standard).

In Max you can list RS232 interfaces and communicate with connected instruments, this would be a good starting point. to test the instrument/board.

Ton

QUOTE (mindmoody @ Dec 5 2008, 10:04 AM)

Helloo....

everyone,i'm a new user to this labview and this is my first project..can anyone tell me how to create the interface board to be controlled by this labview.I have searched that we should used MAX232 but is still does not found out how to design the circuit yet.Should anyone help me..i also accept any website, ebooks sources..Plzzz...Help me...\

Regards,

MindMoody

:(

The MAX232 is just a level converting IC RS232-TTL (+12V/-12V to 0V/5V). This IC is usually placed between the RS232 port and a microcontroller. You don't communicate to the MAX232, you communicate through it. Google MAX232 for datasheet and sample schematics.

Again, you'll have to provide more details about the nature of your project/assignment for anybody to guide you further.

Thanks a lots guys for the replies.. here some details about my project, by using this RS232 serial, i've planned to done a control and monitoring;

1. i want make a control to one water pump or valve to control a water flow.

2. to control a sensor get the reading from this sensor for a humidity.

should u guys help me again.. Thanks a lots.. I've appriciate your helps guys..

Regards,

Mindmoody

:thumbup:

QUOTE (mindmoody @ Dec 10 2008, 12:01 PM)

Sounds like you just need a generic serial port I/O card capable of Digital (or relay) Out and Analog In. There are hundereds of choices out there, such as http://www.ontrak.net/adr2000.htm' rel='nofollow' target="_blank">this one. Download user manuals and read them.

Hook coumpter to the serial card. Use VISA functions in LabVIEW to talk to the board.

edit: like Dan said. You're getting cold even thinking about the MAX232 charge pump chip. Just about any serial port I/O card you buy will already have that chip on it. It's completely transparent to the user. Now, if you want to design your own RS232 board, the you need to think about it.

QUOTE (mindmoody @ Dec 12 2008, 08:30 AM)

Thanks a lots http://BrokenArrow-m2655.html' rel='nofollow' target="_blank">BrokenArrow..

that link seems to be useful to me.. thanks a lots.. i will read and study that manual carefully. Thanks a lots..

You're welcome moody, thanks for checking back in. Remember that's just one of a thousand possible RS232 cards you could use from dozens of companies.

Hello everyone... again.. i'm back with a new things to solve.. BrokenArrow, i've decide to make my own interface board and this will reduce my project cost right? so right now i've done with the MAX232 circuit. The things in my mind is;

1. Which microcontroller should i used for this interface? and could anyone give me some advice and recommendation about this?

Thank you a lots,

Mindmoody :headbang:

QUOTE (mindmoody @ Dec 14 2008, 11:24 AM)

Hello everyone... again.. i'm back with a new things to solve.. BrokenArrow, i've decide to make my own interface board and this will reduce my project cost right? so right now i've done with the MAX232 circuit. The things in my mind is;

1. Which microcontroller should i used for this interface? and could anyone give me some advice and recommendation about this?

Thank you a lots,

Mindmoody :headbang:

Stop Dude! There's no WAY you can make your own board for the cost of buying one or two. It sounds like you just need a few Digital Outs - maybe relay, and an Analog In. If you pay yourself a dollar an hour and use the cheapest parts you can find and get a cheap PCB made with no solder mask and silkscreen, you might break even. Now, if you're doing this as a learning exercise, then fine*, but your statement about it reducing cost is off base.

* I'd recommend the PIC16F876, but LAVA isn't really the forum for that type of thing, insofar as how to make the board, wire it up, etc.

QUOTE (mindmoody @ Dec 14 2008, 10:24 AM)

i've decide to make my own interface board and this will reduce my project cost right?

No way in heck!!! Buying is almost always cheaper than building... In this case, there's no question.

Of course, if you like learning stuff:

I'm an advocate of Atmel's AVR series microcontrollers. Visit AVRFreaks.net if you go this route.

I also like using ExpressPCB for printed circuit boards. Visit ExpressPCB.com for details.

~Dan

LabVIEW is capable of using a standard RS232 communications port with any RS232 device.

As it sounds like you are trying to create your own custom device (which is less of a LabVIEW issue and more of a hardware design issue), and despite many developers here possibly having experience with microcontrolers and board design, you may be better of posting on hardware forum such as http://forum.microchip.com/ (for PIC controllers).

Shaun