LabVIEW Development Environment

IMO, the category "LabVIEW Development Environment" is mis-used a bit. This is a category for questions about the Environment, however it looks like users may be reading to much into the word "Development". Just a quick scan of the latest posts - I'd say at least 50% of them don't belong in there, but could be interprested as belonging there.

Can I suggest that we rename that category? How about dropping the word "Development"?. Or maybe call it Options and Settings. Or Settings, Options, and Tricks. Something along those lines.

I dunno. Just a thought. :lightbulb:

Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away, there used to be a hansom man, let's call him Michael Aivaliotis. Now this Michael fellow would take an hour out of his daily routine to read all the new LAVA posts that would come in and he would meticulously hand sort them and make sure each one was read and given a proper home. If the topic ran astray and seemed to be in the wrong category, Michael would move said post and give it a more suitable home under a new category.

This practice has not been performed now for many many months. These categories which he meticulously pruned and shepherded into existence are now disorganized and have fallen astray.

Michael is now looking for new leaders to take the reigns and help cleanup the forum categories and make sure every topic has a proper home. Who will be brave enough to step up to the plate?

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ Dec 9 2008, 09:49 AM)

Michael is now looking for new leaders to take the reigns and help cleanup the forum categories and make sure every topic has a proper home. Who will be brave enough to step up to the plate?

I am willing to offer my help - in any way I can. If you're actually looking for some good wills for some tasks of this kind you can PM me.

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ Dec 9 2008, 03:49 AM)

...used to be a hansom man ...

:laugh: :laugh:

Anyway, I'm glad to help, but I'm wondering if the Community would be up for a simplification of the categories. Combining a few. Renaming a few. Among other things, maybe putting the General category down under the other categories so it forces users to consider all the options. This way, the "system" has more of a chance to take care of itself, at least that's the idea.

QUOTE (BrokenArrow @ Dec 9 2008, 06:18 AM)

Anyway, I'm glad to help, but I'm wondering if the Community would be up for a simplification of the categories. Combining a few. Renaming a few. Among other things, maybe putting the General category down under the other categories so it forces users to consider all the options. This way, the "system" has more of a chance to take care of itself, at least that's the idea.

Most of the time people ask for more categories not less. I could move the General one down, but I doubt that will help much. See, there are several types of people:

• You understand how forums work and you care about categories, so you pick the right one.
  • You understand how forums work but you don't give a crap about categories.
  • You don't understand how forums work and you will never put it in the right category.

I don't always blame people for using the wrong category. The forums UI is not the best in resolving this. One feature I would love to see (which I can't find) is a way to select a category while you are editing your post.

In any case, clean categories will only happen if there are editors that can move things around when they see a problem. PM me if you are serious about helping.