Custom menus *not* associated with a VI/control.

Is there a way to display a menu without associating it to a VI's menu bar or to a context menu of a control/panel?

Basically I want to create a pull down button, which when clicked shows a menu hierarchy. Currently I have it set to a context menu for the button and it's perfectly functional, but for usability sake it should really be fired from a normal button press...not every user goes around checking every control for a context menu.

Note I know how to handle this by breaking out calls to the OS, I'm just wondering if there's a native LV way of doing it.

Is there a way to display a menu without associating it to a VI's menu bar or to a context menu of a control/panel?

Basically I want to create a pull down button, which when clicked shows a menu hierarchy. Currently I have it set to a context menu for the button and it's perfectly functional, but for usability sake it should really be fired from a normal button press...not every user goes around checking every control for a context menu.

Note I know how to handle this by breaking out calls to the OS, I'm just wondering if there's a native LV way of doing it.