File build and version number in PharLab or VxWorks?

Hi.

On a desktop PC I can get the file version or build number of a DLL or EXE by using the Win32 API in LabVIEW for instance. Has anybody got a clue to how I can do this on LabVIEW RT? I'm using LabVIEW RT on both PharLab and VxWorks targets, so additional applause is given for solutions that work in both cases. And I'm not talking about getting a built VI's revision number through its history node - these are general non-LabVIEW DLL and EXE-files (a Simulink model built into a DLL with Realtime Workshop for instance).

Cheers,

Steen

QUOTE (Steen Schmidt @ Apr 7 2009, 03:50 PM)

Hi.

On a desktop PC I can get the file version or build number of a DLL or EXE by using the Win32 API in LabVIEW for instance. Has anybody got a clue to how I can do this on LabVIEW RT? I'm using LabVIEW RT on both PharLab and VxWorks targets, so additional applause is given for solutions that work in both cases. And I'm not talking about getting a built VI's revision number through its history node - these are general non-LabVIEW DLL and EXE-files (a Simulink model built into a DLL with Realtime Workshop for instance).

Cheers,

Steen

I haven't done much with vXWorks and certainly not used any resources in such a project so I can't say with authority but I don't think the VxWorks build system actually knows something like that.

The Pharlap system uses simply a PE (portable executable) image format and such DLLs can contain resources but if you can't use a VI calling the Windows APIs to retrieve the file version, the Pharlap OS probably lacks proper API support to deal with the resource part of a PE image. At least for headless systems such as the LabVIEW realtime controllers this seems like a very sensible decision as it makes not so much sense to support a fully fledged resource access API when most of those resources are mostly used for UI purpose only.

Rolf Kalbermatter