If XControl used on icon connector, will event fire?

One of my co-workers has this crazy scheme that he is trying te realize in an XControl.

To work the way he wants, he wants to get an event to fire whenever the sub-VI that has his XControl on the icon connector recieve the data from the caller of the sub-VI.

I have shown him examples of writting to the XControl using the terminal or via property node >>> Value and all is fine.

Has anyone done somthing like that?

I'm thinking that because it a sub-VI LV is passing the data through the icon connector but becasue it is a sub-VI the proxy for it is ignoring the update.

Got an idea what is happening and how we can get an event to fire when the data gets updated?

Thank you,

Ben

None of the XControls events will fire unless the FP is loaded into memory. If this is a subVI, it won't be normally -- but if you use any local variables in your diagram (for the XControl or for anything else), that will cause the FP to load into memory. Once the FP is in memory, then writing the value -- using the terminal or the Value property -- will fire the update functions of the XControl.

QUOTE (Aristos Queue @ Apr 8 2009, 06:01 PM)

None of the XControls events will fire unless the FP is loaded into memory. If this is a subVI, it won't be normally -- but if you use any local variables in your diagram (for the XControl or for anything else), that will cause the FP to load into memory. Once the FP is in memory, then writing the value -- using the terminal or the Value property -- will fire the update functions of the XControl.

Thanks for that idea. I asked if it behaved differently when he had the FP of the sub-VI open and he sias it still did not fire.

I am going to have to sit down with him and do some more digging.

Thank you,

Ben