Call external software in LabVIEW & save file in its format

I want to save data from a detector using labview but data should be saved in a format that is readable by another software. I want that labview start that software programmatically and save data in its exact format which can be opened later on. The software should run in minimized mode. Any help or guidance is appreciated please. Thanks

QUOTE (khokhar @ Apr 13 2009, 03:28 PM)

I want to save data from a detector using labview but data should be saved in a format that is readable by another software. I want that labview start that software programmatically and save data in its exact format which can be opened later on. The software should run in minimized mode. Any help or guidance is appreciated please. Thanks

it's easy if you only want to call external software in the labview and save the data by itself. you can use Calling System Exec VI.

QUOTE (confidence @ Apr 14 2009, 02:00 AM)

it's easy if you only want to call external software in the labview and save the data by itself. you can use Calling System Exec VI.

Thanks and I liked to add that the software I want to access is already loaded and I have method to control it from outside. I just want to know how to access a software when it is running on a computer using LabVIEW.

QUOTE (khokhar @ Apr 15 2009, 09:10 AM)

Thanks and I liked to add that the software I want to access is already loaded and I have method to control it from outside. I just want to know how to access a software when it is running on a computer using LabVIEW.

Under windows methods such as DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) or Automation Servers can be used to communicate with things like Excel, Word etc. It enables you to access methods and properties exposed by the application (including things like save and savAs). If you search the net you will find examples for Labview and there is The Report Generation Toolkit which enables interaction with Excel and Word amongst others.

BUT.

Not all apps expose their internal methods so it really depends on the program you are trying to control. If the program uses a proprietry file format and does not expose any methods then you are stuck. The other alternatives are to recreate the file format from within Labview (or any other language for that matter) or cludge it by sending key strokes and mimic a user but I hate this method with a vengence and it can be very unreliable.