Do subVI property nodes force the FP into memory?

crelf

By any chance are you refering to the following question (copied from the CLAD Sample Exam 1)?

3. Which of the following apply to Property Nodes? (More than one answer may apply.)

a. Property Nodes allow attributes of front panel objects to be programmatically manipulated.

b. Property Nodes can be used to update the values contained in a front panel object.

c. More than one Property Node can be used for a single front panel object.

d. Property Nodes contained in a SubVI will always cause the front panel to be loaded in memory.

3. Correct Answer: A, B, C, D

Topic: Property Nodes Justification: All of the statements are true for Property Nodes. References: Property Node

• Like 1

False is indeed correct*

That said, If you create a static property node for a control on the front panel, the front panel will always be loaded. This has actual value because when you build an application, the default behavior for most subVIs is to have their front panel removed and there are certain VIs where creating a property node is the easiest way to force LV to keep the FP.

* Although, with the history of the CLAD questions, it's quite possible that the expected answer is not false because of what's in the second paragraph

False is indeed correct*

That said, If you create a static property node for a control on the front panel, the front panel will always be loaded. This has actual value because when you build an application, the default behavior for most subVIs is to have their front panel removed and there are certain VIs where creating a property node is the easiest way to force LV to keep the FP.

(Emphasis added)

Indeed Yair is correct from what I've learned. Having a property node which operates on an arbitrary control refnum (that is where you explicitly wire the refnum into the node) does not force the front panel into memory because the refnum being operated on might not even be for a control in the same VI.

Of course the sample questions are skewed and slightly screwed up to begin with. Let's add a philosophical question. Assume you know the truly correct answer, and that it is different than the one you assume NI is looking for. Do you mark the correct answer on principle and lose the points, or do you choose the answer NI is looking for?

I usually choose the former, but I am also inclined to rouse rabble. (If I ever found myself taking the CLAD I'd also like to think that one or two questions would not be making a difference).

Let's add a philosophical question. Assume you know the truly correct answer, and that it is different than the one you assume NI is looking for. Do you mark the correct answer on principle and lose the points, or do you choose the answer NI is looking for?

That depends on your aim: to be correct, or to acheive certification.

So instead of creating a implicit property node or control reference constant to get a panel included in a build, you could hide the panels scroll bars.

With one important difference - it's much easier to document why you have an unused property by placing a comment next to it than to safely document why the scroll bars are hidden (safely = in a way which will make it unlikely that someone will accidentally change it).

With one important difference - it's much easier to document why you have an unused property by placing a comment next to it than to safely document why the scroll bars are hidden (safely = in a way which will make it unlikely that someone will accidentally change it).

Having to do workarounds like this makes me wonder why a VI property isn't added to force a FP to be included. Is it just a legacy thing or is there a technical reason?

Having to do workarounds like this makes me wonder why a VI property isn't added to force a FP to be included.

There's certainly no technical reason. I'm guessing that no one ever thought of it, because usually it's not needed (i.e. either the VI doesn't need its FP or it has the FP included due to the normal configuration of the code, such as having the FP set to open when called).

The build configuration dialog does allow you to override the remove-FP setting for every VI, but I don't like that, because it's very hidden and you have to set it for each build separately. If you add an idea for such a VI property to the IE I would certainly vote for it.

• 2 weeks later...