Help Please ..

Chris90

Hi, i'm currently using labview 8.5 and i'm new to it.

I'm asked to do a connection between a microcontroller PIC18f4520 and labview by using a rs232 cable and to get data from the microcontroller to show on labview.

Do I use DAQ or VISA to get data from the microcontroller?

Is there anyone who can help me with it ? It would be best if there's an example for it.Thanks

I don't understand the problem. You only have to use "Basic serial write and read", configure your interface and connect your microcontroller-command at 'VISA Write'. Then it should work.

Greetings Markus

ZITAT(Chris90 @ May 21 2009, 10:16 AM)

I used the example "Basic serial write and read" to do a loopback. But when I tried to used it the get data from the microcontroller, it cant.

Is it possible to show me the block diagram of VISA that is used to get data from the microcontroller ?? Thanks.

QUOTE (Y-P @ May 21 2009, 05:12 PM)

I don't understand the problem. You only have to use "Basic serial write and read", configure your interface and connect your microcontroller-command at 'VISA Write'. Then it should work.

Greetings Markus

Hi .. thanks for the help. But the only thing I don't understand is how to configure the interface between the microcontroller and labview. I actually tried several times but it was not successful.

QUOTE (Chris90 @ May 21 2009, 10:28 PM)

Hi .. thanks for the help. But the only thing I don't understand is how to configure the interface between the microcontroller and labview. I actually tried several times but it was not successful.

I think you are actually jackeroo. you need to learn the knowledge of serial communication. If you weren't femiliar with it, you can't understand somebody's suggestion.

you need to configure baud rate, buffer size and so on, and have to clearly know what's the command the microcontroller response.

Jimmy

QUOTE (Chris90 @ May 21 2009, 03:47 AM)

I'm asked to do a connection between a microcontroller PIC18f4520 and labview by using a rs232 cable and to get data from the microcontroller to show on labview.

I'm not hip to PIC, but I use Parallax microcontrollers and they have circuits external to the PIC to facilitate the serial communication. Do you need this, and are you confident about your hardware? Otherwise confidence/Jimmy has it right and you're probably closer than you think.

1. Is the PIC on an evaluation board or have you built the board yourself? (I hope its the former!!!!)

2. Has your PIC got software in it? (You have to program a PIC to use its USART and there are plenty of examples of this on the net)

3. If you are using an evaluation board, have you successfully downloaded a program/example with the tools that came with the board.?

If you are at No.3 then (and only then) you can start thinking about Labview. You will then be able to use VISA to open the Com port and write/read the command strings/data using the settings from the example and you should be good to go.