Amazon S3 as Test Reports Repository

I'm starting to think about a fallback strategy for our current test report storage. We subscribe to a service that has been fairly reliable and offers some great statistics, but their support levels combined with our smaller size may not survive the budgetary process.

I've used and like DropBox as a personal service and think it's great. I read that DropBox is based on Amazon's S3 (Simple Storage Service) and I wondered if anyone has experience using S3 with LabVIEW and/or TestStand.

• Like 1

I'm starting to think about a fallback strategy for our current test report storage. We subscribe to a service that has been fairly reliable and offers some great statistics, but their support levels combined with our smaller size may not survive the budgetary process.

I've used and like DropBox as a personal service and think it's great. I read that DropBox is based on Amazon's S3 (Simple Storage Service) and I wondered if anyone has experience using S3 with LabVIEW and/or TestStand.

Nice post. The Drop Box video you linked to looked like a Plain English video. I love those guys.

I tried something similar with a Microsoft Beta, but never really got into it.

I think I am going to give Drop Box a go for home-to-work file transitions

I think I am going to give Drop Box a go for home-to-work file transitions

Dropbox looks kinda cool. But Jott was kinda cool, too, and I got hooked on it ... then it wasn't free anymore. sad.gif

If you choose to check DropBox out, use this link and I'll get a little extra storage for the referral.

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTM2MjI0Njk :thumbup1:

I believe you get 2GB of space free. I think archived versions of files older than 60 days are purged to reduce DropBox's costs on the Amazon S3 cloud.

(CORRECTION: 30 DAYS)

If you choose to check DropBox out, use this link and I'll get a little extra storage for the referral.

https://www.dropbox....als/NTM2MjI0Njk :thumbup1:

Sorry mate, I signed up last night when I read your post.

If I can still hook you up with more space somehow (now that I have an account)? please let me know.

I liked what I saw last night, am going to test it at work today.

• 11 months later...

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to let you know that my current submission for the Code Madness 2011 uses Amazon's S3 service. I made a library to use S3 services, and the code is supported on all LV platforms. It is not finished, but the most important parts of the API calls are implemented, and the basic building blocks to implement others are there too. So if someone needs other API calls too, it is really simple to implement them too.

You can find the document here: http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-15419

I hope this will prove to be useful for many people.

Peter

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to let you know that my current submission for the Code Madness 2011 uses Amazon's S3 service. I made a library to use S3 services, and the code is supported on all LV platforms. It is not finished, but the most important parts of the API calls are implemented, and the basic building blocks to implement others are there too. So if someone needs other API calls too, it is really simple to implement them too.

You can find the document here: http://decibel.ni.co.../docs/DOC-15419

I hope this will prove to be useful for many people.

Peter

Congratulations on the win! I haven't looked at your code, but I may take a look at it soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations on the win! I haven't looked at your code, but I may take a look at it soon.

Hi Phillip,

And thank you!

I just would like to let you all know, that I'm currently working on an Amazon S3 LV Add-on, which is going to be distributed through the LabVIEW Tools Network.

The toolkit is almost ready for beta-testing, so if anyone, who already uses Amazon S3 (just to ensure they are familiar with S3, because documentation is not ready yet, and I'd like you to test not only the simplest API calls) is interested in testing it, please let me know in a private message at my NI Community profile.

Peter

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone!

I just would like to inform you that my Amazon S3 Toolkit for LabVIEW is ready for beta-testing. It is available as a VIPM package. Almost all the available API calls are implemented, so the toolkit should be used from the simplest to the most complex tasks.

Now I'd like to ask everyone who is familiar with Amazon S3 to participate in the testing. It would be great to make the toolkit error-free and get some feedback from potential end users.

If you are interested in the testing, please send me a PM, and I will send you the download link.

After the Toolkit is ready to be released, it is going to be distributed on the LV Tools Network.

Thank you for all your help in advance!

Peter

Hi Phillip,

And thank you!

I just would like to let you all know, that I'm currently working on an Amazon S3 LV Add-on, which is going to be distributed through the LabVIEW Tools Network.

The toolkit is almost ready for beta-testing, so if anyone, who already uses Amazon S3 (just to ensure they are familiar with S3, because documentation is not ready yet, and I'd like you to test not only the simplest API calls) is interested in testing it, please let me know in a private message at my NI Community profile.

Peter

• 1 year later...