Equal? Comparison on Strings - Compare Aggregates

Does anyone know a definition for the behavior of using the equal comparator with strings in aggregate mode? I couldn't find any circumstance where it produced a different output than when in elements mode.

Edited by asbo

Does anyone know a definition for the behavior of using the equal comparator in aggregate mode? I couldn't find any circumstance where it produced a different output than when in elements mode.

Try putting an array into the comparison. The output will switch between a single boolean and an array of booleans as you switch between comparing elements and agregates.

Tim

From the LabVIEW Help, it appears that the two modes only matter when comparing arrays or clusters. Do a search for "Using Comparison functions" or "Setting Comparison Functions to Compare Elements or Aggregates" for the official wording.

So to be clear, the question/answers are:

"With a string, how do the modes differ?" Not at all, the mode setting is ignored.

"Is there a difference in behavior of individual versus aggregate comparisons for scalar values?" No, the mode setting is ignored

• Like 2

So to be clear, the question/answers are:

"With a string, how do the modes differ?" Not at all, the mode setting is ignored.

"Is there a difference in behavior of individual versus aggregate comparisons for scalar values?" No, the mode setting is ignored

Yep, that's precisely what I'm looking for. The reason I ask is Jim Kring's Case Insensitive Comparison Mode for String Equality Comparison idea got me wondering if the mode selector did anything for string values - and the fact that it wasn't grayed out when I wired two strings to it made me even more curious. Admittedly, using aggregate mode as a case-insensitive comparison is hardly intuitive functionality, but I can almost twist the logic in my head. :rolleyes:

Thanks Djed!