Neede: 1Gbit ethernet hub

Cat

Accessing the massive LAVA knowledge base... :)

I need a 1Gbit ethernet hub. Not a switch or a router, but a hub. I have searched and searched and cannot find such a beast and was hoping you all might know of one.

We're connecting our network to some one else's network -- there's 1 input pipe and we need two outputs -- and they freaked when they heard we were going to use a switch. A hub is okay, but not a switch. There are supposedly security as well as technical issues involved here, so if "they" say it's got to be a hub, it's got to be a hub.

And if all my wishes were to be granted, it would take SC multimode fiber inputs, but copper would be just fine. I have plenty of media converters.

Accessing the massive LAVA knowledge base... :)

I need a 1Gbit ethernet hub. Not a switch or a router, but a hub. I have searched and searched and cannot find such a beast and was hoping you all might know of one.

We're connecting our network to some one else's network -- there's 1 input pipe and we need two outputs -- and they freaked when they heard we were going to use a switch. A hub is okay, but not a switch. There are supposedly security as well as technical issues involved here, so if "they" say it's got to be a hub, it's got to be a hub.

And if all my wishes were to be granted, it would take SC multimode fiber inputs, but copper would be just fine. I have plenty of media converters.

I did not now anyone still made hubs!

Wacky idea!

Systran makes fiber switching hardware that I have used fro SCRAMnet applications. I believe thier switch supported ethernet and may be able to act as hub while maintaining that throughput. Don't bother chasing this idea down unless you have no other options. The entry level switching hardware starts at about $30K with all of the duaghter modules being add-ons.

BUT If you (data) packages absolutely has to get there (in less than a femtosecond) its the way to go.

Ben

I need a 1Gbit ethernet hub. Not a switch or a router, but a hub.

I'm with Ben - I'm pretty sure such a beast doesn't exist. Switches were kinda phased out before gig switches became commonplace, so there was never a need for them. I think you need to tell *them* that they don't *need* a hub, and a switch is what they really want (a switch, not a router).

I'm with Ben - I'm pretty sure such a beast doesn't exist. Switches were kinda phased out before gig switches became commonplace, so there was never a need for them. I think you need to tell *them* that they don't *need* a hub, and a switch is what they really want (a switch, not a router).

I'll venture a guess that "them" know there is memory in a switch and that "them" have the domain password and failing to comply with "them" will result in potential prison time at one extreme or "them" taking the PC and shreading the hard-drive.

But I'm just guessing.

Ben

I'll venture a guess that "them" know there is memory in a switch and that "them" have the domain password and failing to comply with "them" will result in potential prison time at one extreme or "them" taking the PC and shreading the hard-drive.

While the details aren't exact, you have the general idea... I'm sure you all will visit me in prison, right? Right...?!?

And unfortunately, *they* don't need anything -- *their* network is set up and certified. We stoopidly let another group convince us they (a different *they*) were taking care of the network connections. The "no switches" bomb was just dropped on us last week, and we're loading the system at some undisclosable time in the very near future. :frusty:

Oh well, the analysts always ask for more data than they really need. I'm sure just getting half of it will be fine...................:(

While the details aren't exact, you have the general idea... I'm sure you all will visit me in prison, right? Right...?!?

And unfortunately, *they* don't need anything -- *their* network is set up and certified. We stoopidly let another group convince us they (a different *they*) were taking care of the network connections. The "no switches" bomb was just dropped on us last week, and we're loading the system at some undisclosable time in the very near future. :frusty:

Oh well, the analysts always ask for more data than they really need. I'm sure just getting half of it will be fine...................:(

Try duplicating this post on the dark-side.

Dennis Knutson was working with a network hardware company for a while. I believe that same applies to Tbob so they may have something to say on this topic.

Ben

Maybe you could replace your 'output' NIC with a multiport NIC, or just place another NIC in the LabVIEW PC and run an additional point-to-point cable.

I did something similar in a 'secure' facility, the point to point cabling made everyone happy. I recall that I had some additional coding problems though because the comms were UDP and I needed to keep track of which interface I was talking and listening to...

If hardware got you into this mess, more hardware can get you out! tongue.gif

Who are they? I think I have some ISA VGA cards and 2400 baud modems at home I'd like to sell them.

I was able to locate 10M and 100M but no 1Gbit. I recommend, should you find such a device, that you start looking for 4-leaf clovers and playing the lottery.

Tim

I did not now anyone still made hubs!

I don't think anyone does. That's the problem.

I've posted to the darkside as you suggested.

Hubs are bad since they allow for more network collisions hence lower throughput. Even if you find a hub, you may pay the price in performance and this may cause other problems.

I know! Even if I find the mythical hub, I still have concerns there will be all sorts of problems with it handling the aggregate ~86MB/s data stream.

Maybe you could replace your 'output' NIC with a multiport NIC, or just place another NIC in the LabVIEW PC and run an additional point-to-point cable.

I did something similar in a 'secure' facility, the point to point cabling made everyone happy. I recall that I had some additional coding problems though because the comms were UDP and I needed to keep track of which interface I was talking and listening to...

I have no control over the pipe coming into my system. I've thought about using a 3 network card PC to handle this, but don't have an available box sitting around (all our systems are laptops) and time is very short...

Part of the problem is that I haven't been able to get ahold of the Head Networking Honcho for the network we're connecting to and find out what the real issues are with switches, and if maybe we can configure around them. Unfortunately, the way things work with the Navy (and even more so for contractors that work for the Navy) if *they* say you can't do it, you can't do it, whether it makes logical sense or not.

You do make me wonder tho -- the guyze who said they were going to take care of the network connections for us, and didn't, are a data source -- and it's via UDP. I wonder if maybe that group was told they couldn't put a switch on for some reason, but the fact that we're just a data sink might make it a different case. Probably not, but it's worth checking out.

Who are they? I think I have some ISA VGA cards and 2400 baud modems at home I'd like to sell them.

We're a little slow in the Navy. Thanks for the offer of equipment, but I'm sure we have plenty of both around here.:)

One additional place to ask this is on Serverfault a Q&A site for system admins.

Thanks for the suggestion. And I already know why it's nuts to use a hub, even if I find one. :(

You do make me wonder tho -- the guyze who said they were going to take care of the network connections for us, and didn't, are a data source -- and it's via UDP. I wonder if maybe that group was told they couldn't put a switch on for some reason, but the fact that we're just a data sink might make it a different case. Probably not, but it's worth checking out.

Worth chasing that down since hubs are "what I hear is what i say" widgets passing all packets.

Switches can be configured to pass UDP packets which is not neccesarily the default.

We used that approach (switch configured to route our messages) to be able to sync a bunch of cRIO is a coal mine (We were trying to answer the question "How fast does Indiana Jones really have to run to out-run the blast under-ground?").

Ben

We're a little slow in the Navy. Thanks for the offer of equipment, but I'm sure we have plenty of both around here.:)

That takes me back to my undergrad thesis. We had to document that, even though all they needed was a PC, a PLC was also needed on the shipboard test system so that the Captain didn't turn off the six-month test the first time the system gurgled.

Tim

• Like 1

I don't think anyone does. That's the problem.

I've posted to the darkside as you suggested.

I know! Even if I find the mythical hub, I still have concerns there will be all sorts of problems with it handling the aggregate ~86MB/s data stream.

I have no control over the pipe coming into my system. I've thought about using a 3 network card PC to handle this, but don't have an available box sitting around (all our systems are laptops) and time is very short...

Part of the problem is that I haven't been able to get ahold of the Head Networking Honcho for the network we're connecting to and find out what the real issues are with switches, and if maybe we can configure around them. Unfortunately, the way things work with the Navy (and even more so for contractors that work for the Navy) if *they* say you can't do it, you can't do it, whether it makes logical sense or not.

Thanks for the suggestion. And I already know why it's nuts to use a hub, even if I find one. :(

Is the gigabit connection 'just because' or is the data stream really so fat that you need that speed?

If 'just because' you could add a USB to Ethernet adapter to the laptop (quick stop at Best Buy), then a couple of Ethernet to SC converters? Not pretty, but...

Is the gigabit connection 'just because' or is the data stream really so fat that you need that speed?

It's "just because" (the other option is a 10Gbit connection). And, we have a need for speed.:) One of the data streams is coming to us at ~70MB/s.

If 'just because' you could add a USB to Ethernet adapter to the laptop (quick stop at Best Buy), then a couple of Ethernet to SC converters? Not pretty, but...

The data is actually going to two custom built Solaris boxes. Dealing with all the interface issues between our system and other systems just happens to be one of my collateral duties.