How to ask user to reboot after install

Hi all,

How to make sure that the "you need to restart your computer to finish the install" dialog will show up at the end of the installer?

As I understand it, this dialog will show up or not depending on which components the installer had to install, and if it just has to copy my small exe, then it won't show up.

I'm running 8.6 - I'm saying this in case in the newer versions, the option "ask/force reboot after installed" appeared.

The only way I could find for now is to create a small other exe in the project, and that small exe is launched after the installer finishes ; all it does is show a dialog to ask the user to reboot.

Is there a better way to do that?

Hi all,

How to make sure that the "you need to restart your computer to finish the install" dialog will show up at the end of the installer?

As I understand it, this dialog will show up or not depending on which components the installer had to install, and if it just has to copy my small exe, then it won't show up.

I'm running 8.6 - I'm saying this in case in the newer versions, the option "ask/force reboot after installed" appeared.

The only way I could find for now is to create a small other exe in the project, and that small exe is launched after the installer finishes ; all it does is show a dialog to ask the user to reboot.

Is there a better way to do that?

Hi Antoine

If you search for Silent Install on ni.com you will see that you can customise the installation of the NI components using switches including forcing a reboot.

For example the LabVIEW Run Time

I don't know if this will fit into your workflow? But I was playing with this (via batch files) recently and thought it was worth a mention.

Cheers

-JG