LV2010 App stability

Cat

I know some folks have had issues with stability in the LV2010 IDE. But I'm wondering if, after you've created an .exe (for those of you who do), have you had any problems? Applications that run 99 times but crash on the 100th time. Intermittent unexplained errors. That sort of thing.

I need to be able to create both 32 and 64 bit apps. LV8.6.1 Isn't going to do that for me. If the problems with LV2010 are just in the IDE, I may just have to grit my teeth and deal with them. (Besides I really really want an excuse valid technical reason to upgrade :P )

I haven't had any trouble with 2010 built executables. Of course, my sample size is pretty small (half a dozen or so) and none of them have been in continuous use for extended periods of time, so don't put too much weight on my experience.

I know some folks have had issues with stability in the LV2010 IDE. But I'm wondering if, after you've created an .exe (for those of you who do), have you had any problems? Applications that run 99 times but crash on the 100th time. Intermittent unexplained errors. That sort of thing.

I've buit 2010 executables that I've run on my development machine, but I've not deployed them to customers yet. So far the small apps that I've created have worked well over hours, though admitedly the ones I have so far are service apps so they sit there doing "nothing" most of the time.

Tim

I tend to update when only at the beginning of new projects AND only when a service pack has been released. But I don't see an update as being mutually exclusive to using previous versions.. Therefore I may have the latest version installed. Just not use it for production code. Quite often I will take a completed project and mass compile offline for the new version to see what issues pop-up (there are always some).

I take it your not on an SSP? If not, then I would suggest pushing through for the budget and acquire a 2010 license. By the time it comes through, a service pack should be available (we're about due I think).

So sorry wacko.gif I can't really answer your question fully since I've only "played" with 2010.I would suggest you obtain permission to install the evaluation of LV2010 on a machine and try compiling some known working projects so you can run them for a week or so to see what happens. That will shake the bushes enough for you to make your own mind up since we all use little tricks and workarounds that may or may not work between versions.

We've been having a hard time building consistently. We build 5 related apps out of one project, and (aside from it being slow as the dickens) the builder frequently throws bogus errors ("can't save a bad VI without a block diagram") or just gets stuck. I didn't see this during the beta, possibly because I hadn't yet split source and object code on the whole hierarchy. (Blasting the object cache can fix it.) There are some workarounds but it's annoying. We're working with NI on the problem.

I take it your not on an SSP? If not, then I would suggest pushing through for the budget and acquire a 2010 license. By the time it comes through, a service pack should be available (we're about due I think).

Actually, I've currently got 3 LV licenses, all with SSPs. It was more a matter of finding a box to install them on. But last week I remastered a laptop and have done a clean install of LV2010. Hopefully I'll get some time in the next couple weeks to do some testing. Then I need to find a spare 64-bit machine somewhere and see how *that* works...

I haven't had any trouble with 2010 built executables. Of course, my sample size is pretty small (half a dozen or so) and none of them have been in continuous use for extended periods of time, so don't put too much weight on my experience.

A little experience is better than none at all. Thanks!

I've buit 2010 executables that I've run on my development machine, but I've not deployed them to customers yet.

That's part of my fear... what will happen when my apps get deployed to machines I have no control over.

I had a problem with using property nodes and classes, especially in built applications.

Luckily (?) I'm an OOP-newbie and haven't found a Real Project I'm willing to use it in, so no classes, yet.

We've been having a hard time building consistently. We build 5 related apps out of one project, and (aside from it being slow as the dickens) the builder frequently throws bogus errors ("can't save a bad VI without a block diagram") or just gets stuck. I didn't see this during the beta, possibly because I hadn't yet split source and object code on the whole hierarchy. (Blasting the object cache can fix it.) There are some workarounds but it's annoying. We're working with NI on the problem.

This is disturbing, since it sounds like exactly what I do. Thanks for the heads-up.

Actually, I've currently got 3 LV licenses, all with SSPs. It was more a matter of finding a box to install them on. But last week I remastered a laptop and have done a clean install of LV2010. Hopefully I'll get some time in the next couple weeks to do some testing. Then I need to find a spare 64-bit machine somewhere and see how *that* works...

Virtual Machines are your friend!