Build Servers

mje

Last year at NI week I heard some talk about people using build servers for their projects. So what exactly were you referring to? I know some of the local lava people were among those in the discussion, but do any of you actually use one?

Is it literally a second computer which you log into, update your local version and run the build specs, or is there a more elaborate interface which I'm missing?

-m

Is it literally a second computer which you log into, update your local version and run the build specs, or is there a more elaborate interface which I'm missing?

We have "build machines" which are virtual machines, but you've got the idea for what we do.

Tim

As a side note to this thread, NI have a LabVIEW FPGA Compile Farm Toolkit which can speed up FPGA build time. The reason I mention that is there is a Cloud service (still in Beta I am guessing?) so you can offload the work and save on hardware.

Furthermore, given reports of 2+hr build times (I can hear ShaunR giggling), what makes the above more interesting is whether in the future this service could ever be offered (and would make sense to be offered) for a standard LabVIEW build?

...and continue working.

Oh yer, and this is how Mikael likes to build LabVIEW apps in parallel :)