CLA Question

I've been studying up on this as well. My understanding is that for the CLA, you only code what is needed for the architecture. If the XControl is part of the architecture, then make it. If it isn't, don't worry about it. They aren't going to grade you on the use of fancy LV tools, but on the architecture you create and documenting of the requirements.

I have been looking at the sample CLA solution which has an XControl. You are not really expected to create an XControl are you?

Yes, if it suits the requirements. I would say in general, you should be familiar with them if you are architecting projects. Although I have had my fair share of drama with them ;)

I have been looking at the sample CLA solution which has an XControl. You are not really expected to create an XControl are you?

I doubt it. (I hope not, seeing as how I didn't create one for my exam.)

I view XControls as an encapsulated unit of UI functionality, much in the same way a class is an encapsulated unit of programmic functionality. I have found them most useful when I want to reuse some bit of customized UI behavior in multiple places, which doesn't happen often. Usually I just customize the control's behavior on the VI's block diagram rather than creating an xctl. I have too many crashes and issues with xctls to want to use them more than necessary. My personal opinion is that there are better ways to spend your time than by creating an xctl.

Our local sales rep arranged a con call with an exam grader when several people in the area were preparing for exams. He indicated the sample exam is an actual solution turned in by an applicant--it's not an "ideal" solution. My perception of the grader's comments were that he thought the solution focused a little too much on implementation and not enough on architecture. Nevertheless, he did indicate the applicant scored somewhere in the 90-95 range.

However, I absolutely agree with JG. Anyone claiming to be an architect--regardless of certification--ought to be familiar with xcontrols.

• Like 1

I view XControls as an encapsulated unit of UI functionality, much in the same way a class is an encapsulated unit of programmic functionality. I have found them most useful when I want to reuse some bit of customized UI behavior in multiple places, which doesn't happen often. Usually I just customize the control's behavior on the VI's block diagram rather than creating an xctl. I have too many crashes and issues with xctls to want to use them more than necessary. My personal opinion is that there are better ways to spend your time than by creating an xctl.

I come to this conclusion too whereby I prefer to create a class that manipulates the UI (via a refnum) then create an xctrl when it gives me the same effect (i.e. encapsulation). But I still wish xctrls get an overhaul one of these days.

Well I am familiar with them for what it's worth ;)

But I think I will probably just dig in and create one for fun.

I think Daklu and I mean familiar equals experience as opposed to knowing of.

And from a pure exam perspective if one was needed, I would not be wanting to be finding out the caveats etc... of such an implementation biggrin.gif

So checking them out would definitely be a good idea.

yeah, when we were prepping for the exam, our conclusion was that the example with the XControl was completely pointless. I understand they have tons of usefulness, and I hope to get into them in the very near future, but for the CLA ... well, i know I passed and I didn't use one. In fact, I can think of at least 5 CLA's who I know passed without using XControls. Chances are if you know what you are doing and can make one fast enough you'll get some kudos from the grader for using one. I was debating using LVClasses on my exam for that same reason, plus I love LVClasses ... but opted not to.

yeah, when we were prepping for the exam, our conclusion was that the example with the XControl was completely pointless. I understand they have tons of usefulness, and I hope to get into them in the very near future, but for the CLA ... well, i know I passed and I didn't use one.

I disagree that they are pointless. In the sample exam encapsulating the keypad buttons into an xcontrol makes complete sense. And IMHO is the correct architectural choice wrt to designing the UI for that part of the example. Of course you could code and example without them and still have it work, but in this case, I think an xcontrol is a 'better' choice.

And IMHO is the correct architectural choice wrt to designing the UI for that part of the example. Of course you could code and example without them and still have it work, but in this case, I think an xcontrol is a 'better' choice.

I agree it is a better architectual decision. (Plus a keypad component like that could be extremely useful in other projects.)

(I know you know this stuff already, but it needs to be pointed out.)

At the same time, it may not be the correct business decision. One of the primary responsibilities of an architect is to find a way to balance the competing requirements. During the CLA one of the "business" requirements is to be done in 4 hours. I'm not good enough with xctls to make it a viable option given the strict time constraints. (The person who did the sample solution obviously is. Kudos to him/her.) Hopefully your wish will come true and xctls will get a makeover soon.

As an aside, what I got most out of the sample exam is the realization that NI doesn't set the bar very high. (Says me while still waiting for my CLA results.) There's way more to being an architect than what is covered in the exam.

As an aside, what I got most out of the sample exam is the realization that NI doesn't set the bar very high. (Says me while still waiting for my CLA results.) There's way more to being an architect than what is covered in the exam.

You are still waiting? Didn't you take the exam with John?

Other people who took the exam, how long did it take to get your results?

I'm inclined to agree with you on balancing the requirements. I fully understand that in a perfect world a xcontrol is probably the most correct solution. However, with any "customer" there is the right way and there is the way that meets there requirements.

case in point ... i have a particular customer that LOVES using VXI ... lord knows why ... I know PXI is a better choice for what they want to do ... but I have to work with what I'm given ... no matter how badly I want to slap them ....

I agree it is a better architectual decision. (Plus a keypad component like that could be extremely useful in other projects.)

(I know you know this stuff already, but it needs to be pointed out.)

At the same time, it may not be the correct business decision. One of the primary responsibilities of an architect is to find a way to balance the competing requirements. During the CLA one of the "business" requirements is to be done in 4 hours. I'm not good enough with xctls to make it a viable option given the strict time constraints. (The person who did the sample solution obviously is. Kudos to him/her.) Hopefully your wish will come true and xctls will get a makeover soon.