Application builder never finishes

Hi everyone

I’ve been pulling my hair for the last 2 days to figure why I can’t build my application.

I have tried building it on 4 computers and it work on one of them.

What happens is that it completes the build and has only the last step left to do.

But it gets stuck here in an internal infinite loop, just uses up almost all my CPU power and slowly chews up the ram memory. Eventually it runs out of memory or I kill it with task manager.

The last step is fails in is: Compress all files into the exe file.

I can easily tell because when I browse the build folder I can see the Exe-file folder.

post-941-0-83980000-1311912948_thumb.png

After restarting LabVIEW I opened up the Main VI located in that folder and it was possible to run.

So that means it had done the task of re-linking and removing the block diagrams.

It looks like my problem comes down to a particular VI, which causes this behavior. Unfortunately it’s a database Admin VI all our production software requires.

One other thing that happens at the same time was that, IT pushed a software update to all our computer that made other strange things happen, but I would guess that it would cause all builds to fail in that case, but I can still build applications that doesn’t use this particular VI.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Does the offending VI have subVIs? Can you add "part of" the the VI into the code?

I've run into this before; unfortunately the solution isn't coming to me. I vaguely recall saving the entire code to a new directory, but I can't say if that was the solution to this problem or some other bizarreness I'd run across.

Tim

How is your network usage during hte buld? When I'm building something for the first time on a PC is hasn't been built on before, sometimes LV needs to copy across a bunch of stuff from our respository of NI installers (on a network drive) and it can take a loooong time (hint: make sure you cache your installers on first build :) ).

Edit: wait, that's for installer builds, not executable build. Carry on.

What version of LV?

I'm running LV2010SP1

How is your network usage during hte buld? When I'm building something for the first time on a PC is hasn't been built on before, sometimes LV needs to copy across a bunch of stuff from our respository of NI installers (on a network drive) and it can take a loooong time (hint: make sure you cache your installers on first build :) ).

Edit: wait, that's for installer builds, not executable build. Carry on.

Yes, that is only for installers, this a very annoying issue.

It fells like my computer is not allowing LV to zip up the files.

I wouldn't be surprised if our IT department has added some restrictions on all our computers that messes up LV's build capabilities.

But then again then I shouldn't be able to build anything, now it;s only this VI I've found so far.

I know IT restrict us from running some applications like crome.exe, maybe my application name is part of the illegal application name list.

I've though I've seen all kinds of LV errors after 17 years with LabVIEW, but this is a new one.

Maybe I'll upgrade to 2011, next week.

Cheers,

Mike

Does the offending VI have subVIs? Can you add "part of" the the VI into the code?

I've run into this before; unfortunately the solution isn't coming to me. I vaguely recall saving the entire code to a new directory, but I can't say if that was the solution to this problem or some other bizarreness I'd run across.

Tim

Hi Tim

Yes it has plenty of Sub VIs, so I thought some of the latest changes cause the problem so I reverted back the whole application to a date where I know I could build, but it didn't solve the problem.

I did copy the whole LabVIEW 2010 folder from my colleague's computer that could build to see if that solved the problem, (this also included the whole application since it's located in the User.Lib.

So then I had the same LV setup with the same files as him, but still I couldn't build but he could.

So could it be something located in the National Instruments/Shared that is different.

But after playing with my colleagues LV version, it suddenly stopped working on his as well.

So at least all computers I've tested it on are consistent (currently 5 of them).

I've contacted NI but they haven't been able to help me yet.

Cheers,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Is the setup of each of the 5 computers similar/the same? Maybe you have some some 3rd party software or driver that is conflicting somehow.

Have you tried creating a new project, dropping your code back in, and then building? Sometimes project files can get mucked up.

If that doesn't work, consider reinstalling LV. It's not a great solution, but sometimes it is the fix. Granted, since it doesn't work on 4 other machines, that would be very coincidental.

Hi Everyone

The issue has been fixed, but I’m not allowed to know how it was fixed, the order comes from the top managers in this >5000 people company.

It started about 2 weeks ago, that LabVIEW couldn’t build executables, and at the same time other people started to get other problems with different applications.

It took the US based IT department about 10 days to get it working again.

They are not allowed to tell me what they did.

I hope nobody else has to deal with these sorts of problems.

If I manage to figure out what it was I’ll inform you, it has of cause something to do with some security policies pushed to the computer like spyware or encryption software.

Cheers,

Mike

• 2 months later...

Hi Again

I just like to updated this tread with some more facts.

The Security Software my company is using is called:

Verdasys Digital Guardian

It has caused the whole company massive amount of problems.

Especially my LabVIEW team.

And today again, I can't build my executables, LV just says Done right away when I start a build, and I can't open the Build properties anymore.

I'm not sure if it's this F#! security software yet again.

Wounder if any other LabVIEW developers been affected by this software?

//Mike

Hello,

We just finished with a week's worth of troubleshooting about the same problem: LV just says Done right away when I start a build, and I can't open the Build properties anymore.

In addition to those issues our LabVIEW environment was locked and all we could do was kill the process. We didn't get this problem every time we built but it became more and more frequent (LabVIEW also started complaining about and error almost everytime we exited)

We are using XP and LabVIEW 2011 along with GOOP3 and GOOP4 classes and Perforce as our SCC. We don't have the security software that you have, we use McAfee.

Our solution was to go back in time in the Perforce tree and find a version that worked correctly every time after mass compile and executing in the development environment as well. That is what we have done and so far (the past two days) it has been working fine with no crashes... I wonder if this will show up out of the blue again sometime soon???

/David