Performace of OpenG String to 1D array

I have been really using OpenG VI's a lot more in the last few weeks as I am working alone in my new job and I have no constraints on what I do.

I do a lot of string to 1D aray type conversion typically a comma seperated string in a setup file converting it to an array, I was using the spreadsheet string to array but thought I would use the OpenG version as it is better on a block diagram, less room and functionaly neater.

However I was supprised that the addition of the case structure in the OpenG version (used to get a little more functionality) had such an increase in performace. It made me wonder if the functionality in the OpenG VI should be split into two VI's ?

timing spreadsheet to string.vi

Dannyt

Your method of testing is wrong, for instance the native version only takes 0 ms, this is so because the code is compiled and the result is stored in memory.

By replacing all the inputs to control I got the OpenG twice as fast as the the 2nd (with case structure function):

Ton

Hey Ton,

I was very interested in your reply as I feel this could impact other perfomace tesing I do; I am sure on both Lava & the dark side I have seen people test with hardcoded values on thier block diagram, but if I am doing this wong I would like to understand in what way.

I changed my VI making the csv string to a control and also the "," and "%s" to controls.

I then make all the control default values something other than the real values I wanted to use before saving it. Next I placed this as a subvi and tried again. I still get the type of values.

I do understand what your point is having read the info on the 2011 compiler optimisations, but I cannot see how your got the different results.

Danny