LabVIEW Programmer vs PLC Programmer

Hi,

I am writing this to get advice on something different here.

I am entry level Electrical Engineer, with LabVIEW experience of one year, CLAD and CTD. Passionate about LabVIEW and NI stuff. Recently had a layoff issue and luckily ended up with two opportunities of becoming LV Programmer with Alliance partener or PLC Programmer (doing reverse engineering for legacy system - later on involved in new system development).

I have a confusion with right career choice,

Option 1. LabVIEW Programmer

Less no. of people with this skillset so maybe higher pay, Comparatively Less Jobs, Continuing my intermediate level to more experience level, Following my passion for LabVIEW, Super-specialization - not diverse profile.

Option 2. PLC Programmer

More no. of people with this skillset so relatively lower pay, Many many jobs, Adding new skill to my profile in addition to LabVIEW, learning new things so will be interesting, Diverse profile - in future I can compare PAC vs PLC in better way.

As I said I am recent graduate and confused at moment, I would ask for a help from seniors, experienced. Correct/add any points I mentioned above.

Thanks in advance.

Well you are at a LabVIEW based community forum so I'm going to guess most people would tell you to stick with LabVIEW because of all the diverse fields that LabVIEW is used on, and for the large range of hardware and applications.

That being said careers can change, and it may be a good idea to try something new. Keeping your options open is always a good idea and by trying out PLC and learning that field puts you in a better position down the road for other employment opportunities where you can say you are both familiar with PLCs and LabVIEW, but are not an expert in LabVIEW.

It's your decision to make, but don't worry about if you made the wrong decision down the line. Things can always change and you can choose the other path in a few years if things don't work out. Or take on a completely different career that has nothing to do with programming.

• Like 1

Passionate about LabVIEW and NI stuff. Recently had a layoff issue and luckily ended up with two opportunities of becoming LV Programmer with Alliance partener or PLC Programmer (doing reverse engineering for legacy system - later on involved in new system development).

You have an opportunity to do your passion, or work on somebody elses mess (reverse engineering for legacy system)

Follow your passion my friend. Life is to short.

• Like 1