Functions on the Installer folder.

Hi all

I use LV made a llb program the size is 234KB, but When I build an application with the LabVIEW Application Builder, the Installer folder size was almost 4.77MB(No Run-Time engine).

I would like to reduce my installer folder size.

Does anyone knows what are they functions on the Installer folder? and how to do this?

post-705-1098857222.png?width=400

2476[/snapback]

Remember, aside from the application that YOU built, the installer creates files that actually perform and install your application and parts/shortcuts/etc onto the target computer(s). I'm not an installer guru by any means, so I don't know how much it SHOULD take up, but the idea that your built application + installer is larger than your application alone just makes sense to me.

Hi all

I use LV made a llb program

May-be you mean, that a .llb in which you top-vi, weight 235 kb?

When you build executable, LV takes ALL vis, that you need to run as stand-alone,

when an .llb consists in your vis, you probably use LabVIEWs vis from ./vi.lib, ./user.lib, ./project and so-one. When you build an exe, LV includes all vi you need in an .exe file. Plus, extracter and installer executable, this takes place.

May-be this is a case?

Besides, if ou look just only on executable, not an installer, it will be smaller, even than yours .llb.

I use LV made a llb program the size is 234KB, but When I build an application with the LabVIEW Application Builder, the Installer folder size was almost 4.77MB(No Run-Time engine).

I would like to reduce my installer folder size.

2476[/snapback]

It's possible to reduce the size however there is a minimum overhead that must be there. This is a function of the Windows installer. The data.cab file is where all your installed files reside. This is where your *.llb is. The other stuff is required to support running the installer on specific windows platforms. For example, if you run it on Windows 95 or NT then the installer engine must be installed first before the actual install takes place. It's possible that the engine is already there however you don't always know that.

The LabVIEW install builder creates a safe installation so that everything works on any platform. This usually means excessive baggage you don't really need. If you want to manipulate the final size of the install and create a lean install folder then you must go to a third-party application like Installshield.

• 2 months later...
Hi all

post-705-1098857222.png?width=400

2476[/snapback]

Part of this, as others have pointed out is that when you build the builder pulls in everything from \vi.lib etc, etc....

One way to see this is to do a save with options on your top level VI and include \vi.lib in a custom save. The resulting library will probably be quite a bit bigger than your original. This then gets reduced down by deleting the diagrams, and then build back up with the addition of lvapp,lib and a few other goodies to make an executable.