Count each time analog output waveform starts

I have an M series DAQ (6251) and a Win7 PC. I need to generate a continuously repeating analog output waveform that consists of a positive going pulse and a negative going pulse (total waveform length is roughly 1 sec). That part I can do fine. Now I want to count each time the waveform starts a new cycle. It would be ideal if there was a signal available that pulsed each time the waveform started (then I count route it to a counter input) but I can't find one. Does anyone know of such a signal?

I suppose I could use the clock output to generate a pulse train to use as a start signal for the D/A, but doesn't that use both counters? I'd still need a way to count the pulses generated.

George

• 3 weeks later...

I know I have done something similar to this using ni-fgen vi's. There is an example in the example finder called Fgen Arb Waeform Streaming.vi. This vi is made for use with a PXI 5421 but could be modified to be used with another device. If you notie after the initiate generation vi there is a while loop that keep tracks of the blocks written until the stop is executed.

I beleive I have done something similar using a USB analog I/O device. Let me know if this helps.

pat