Strange disk error

Recently (I would say in the last month or so) I've been getting this strange error from the IDE when opening projects and vis from the labview "Getting Started" screen (from any drive including C:\). It doesn't happen every time (maybe 1 in 20) and after pressing "retry" it will load the file.

It happens in all LV versions and on different machines.

I know there were murmurs a while back about seeing this in LV 2010 (with no resolution from what I could tell) but like I said. One of the machines has a 2 year old copy of LV2009 on it (and that's been rock-solid until now).

Anyone else experiencing this or knows why this happens?

I hadn't heard of this before, but I'm hazarding a guess that this dialog isn't generated by LabVIEW so much as Windows itself - based on the title bar, verbiage, and button choices. Of the machines which experience the problem, is anything about the hard drive configuration common? Same motherboard chipset, same HD manufacturer, same RAID configuration? Another obvious question is, of course, what changed a month ago?

Of the times that I've seen a dialog like this, it often pointed to file system corruption, but since the files in question do eventually load, I guess that's not the case. Still it wouldn't hurt to run a Scandisk (maybe checking for bad sectors, if you have time to kill) and checking the SMART stats for your drive(s).

I hadn't heard of this before, but I'm hazarding a guess that this dialog isn't generated by LabVIEW so much as Windows itself - based on the title bar, verbiage, and button choices. Of the machines which experience the problem, is anything about the hard drive configuration common? Same motherboard chipset, same HD manufacturer, same RAID configuration? Another obvious question is, of course, what changed a month ago?

Of the times that I've seen a dialog like this, it often pointed to file system corruption, but since the files in question do eventually load, I guess that's not the case. Still it wouldn't hurt to run a Scandisk (maybe checking for bad sectors, if you have time to kill) and checking the SMART stats for your drive(s).

Completely dissimilar machines. One has an 450GB SSD (laptop), one has a 500GB seagate (desktop), one has a 750GB Western Digital (Desktop) one has a 120GB WesternDigital (laptop). Mixtures of Win7/LabVIEW x32 and x64 and I7, I5 and Dual Core Pentiums (dissimilar hardware).

I have a suspicion it is a Windows update or maybe virus scanner update (since all LabVIEW installations are over 8 months old)

Recently (I would say in the last month or so) I've been getting this strange error from the IDE when opening projects and vis from the labview "Getting Started" screen (from any drive including C:\). It doesn't happen every time (maybe 1 in 20) and after pressing "retry" it will load the file.

It happens in all LV versions and on different machines.

I know there were murmurs a while back about seeing this in LV 2010 (with no resolution from what I could tell) but like I said. One of the machines has a 2 year old copy of LV2009 on it (and that's been rock-solid until now).

Anyone else experiencing this or knows why this happens?

It's the low level device name notion for modern Windows systems before any disk drives are mapped on top of it, so I doubt that it is something LabVIEW does on its own explicitedly. Somehow somewhere Windows seems to have mount points or whatever that point to a hard-drive partition that doesn't currently or anymore exist on your system, and maybe LabVIEW tries to enumerate those disk drives or mount points at some point and triggers this error message. Try to do a registry search for the HD volume name, maybe it exists in there and may even point you more into a direction what could have caused this.

Have you at some point used removable harddisks with NTFS formatting?

Because the retry works, the mount can't actually be gone. I think there's stock in something (ala antivirus) locking up the partition. I agree that's low-level addressing, but evidently the circumstance is such that the OS can't distinguish a missing partition and one that's be locked; though, it's entirely possibly an AV solution could accomplish that goal in a very sleazy way.

Well. There was a Windows Kernel update just shy of 1 month ago, but no virus scanner update for 2 months. I noticed that windows defender AND the the separate virus scanners real-time scanning is enabled on all of them. So I've turned off "real-time" checking and Defender on the PCs temporarily to see if it goes away. There are various murmurs around the internet on this subject and the usual response is "just live with it" (not acceptable for me!).