Event in private data with typedef'ed datatype

It's been discussed that having a typedef in the private data of a class is not recommended because of class mutation history...

Would I get the same problem if one of my class member is an event with a typedef'ed enum as its datatype?

The typedef'ed enum is not part of the class [edit] private data[/edit]. The event is not a typedef.

What will happen to class mutation history if I add an item to my enum in a future version of the class?

No, you would not have the same problem. The refnum is the prime type.

In fact, the only problem that arises with typedefs is specifically typedefs of clusters at the top level. If you have an array of typedef of clusters, you're fine. If you have a typedef of array of clusters, fine. If you have a refnum of typedef of clusters, fine. If you have a typedef of refnum of typedef of clusters, fine. If you have a typedef of an enum or anything else, fine.

Only poor top-level typedefs of clusters cause problems.

Maite: You don't get to jump to this conclusion without looking up the backstory. :-) The key phrase in Normandin's post is "because of class mutation history". LabVIEW has help files that talk about the mutation history and there are multiple posts on LAVA about it. Check it out and see if it affects you. It's not that you can't use typedefs of clusters in your private data. It's just that if you do, one useful functionality becomes less useful.