Vision package info...

The vision package should be able to do that. I think you’re looking at a fairly standard particle counting algorithm, which in theory is pretty easy. But like everything, the devil is in the details. The key to any vision system is in consistent lighting conditions. That might be harder to achieve in a building environment. What specifically is your application? Are you looking at huge crowds of people, or just an occasional individual? Is this an office building, sports stadium, or single room? Is the camera already in place, or can you position it and control the lighting? All of these answers will have an impact on your solution.

The easiest thing might be to get a cheap USB camera, download the evaluation version of the Vision Toolkit, and play.

• Like 1

Hello,

I'm not familiar with the Vision package and I would make you a question.

Does you know if it should be possible to use it to count people entering or exiting a door?

Thanks

Max

Yup. The trick is to mount the camera above the door looking down. Then you don't suffer from occlusion,have fairly regular shapes and a constant, uniform background to contrast against. Once you get used to it, you can even start counting prams, pushchairs, wheelchairs, adults/children etc. ;)

• Like 1

Yup. The trick is to mount the camera above the door looking down. Then you don't suffer from occlusion,have fairly regular shapes and a constant, uniform background to contrast against. Once you get used to it, you can even start counting prams, pushchairs, wheelchairs, adults/children etc. ;)

And as an added bonus, people think it's way creepier when cameras are looking down at them!

Thanks very much for your responses,

my question was just for information, a friend ask to me if it was possible to do that, and if this project should proceed I suppose that either the HW components or its positioning will be defined later.

I will follow the suggestion of EricLarsen to have a little try

The easiest thing might be to get a cheap USB camera, download the evaluation version of the Vision Toolkit, and play.

Max

• 1 month later...