Mouse Leave Events

mje

I have an application that has several different data views, any number of which could be open at a time in their own window. Many views track mouse movements and display context information by showing small frameless panels, and hiding them when not relevant.

I'm having trouble though capturing mouse events when the cursor "leaves" a window by moving on top of other windows which are higher on the z-stack. Basically none of the control, pane, or VI mouse leave events fire since the mouse technically never left any of the respective boundaries, so I'm left with an orphaned tooltip window until the mouse happens to stray back to the window.

This video quickly demonstrates as much: http://www.screencast.com/t/aRCEDlqWVG

Now I can think of a few ways to fix this such as having each view broadcast an application level event to the effect of "Hey I have the cursor now so the rest of you hide your tooltips," but that seems inelegant. Surely there's a way to manage this locally without starting to throw around global brodcasts?

We want the tooltips to display even if the window does not have focus, so tracking focus is not really an answer.

I have an application that has several different data views, any number of which could be open at a time in their own window. Many views track mouse movements and display context information by showing small frameless panels, and hiding them when not relevant.

I'm having trouble though capturing mouse events when the cursor "leaves" a window by moving on top of other windows which are higher on the z-stack. Basically none of the control, pane, or VI mouse leave events fire since the mouse technically never left any of the respective boundaries, so I'm left with an orphaned tooltip window until the mouse happens to stray back to the window.

This video quickly demonstrates as much: http://www.screencast.com/t/aRCEDlqWVG

Now I can think of a few ways to fix this such as having each view broadcast an application level event to the effect of "Hey I have the cursor now so the rest of you hide your tooltips," but that seems inelegant. Surely there's a way to manage this locally without starting to throw around global brodcasts?

We want the tooltips to display even if the window does not have focus, so tracking focus is not really an answer.

Try using the "Mouse Leave" event of the pane? Although your last comment (tooltips display when it doesn't have focus) seems contradictory so that might not be what you are after.

Edited by ShaunR
  • Like 1