How to implement triple buffering

IMAQ GetImagePixelPtr? That only retrieves a pointer. Are you then using IMAQ SetPixelValue to write individual pixels to an IMAQ ref?

No, I pass the pixel pointer to the DLL function, which can than read or write the raw pixels. This is what gives the best performance.

For making sure of this, I converted my program to LV2014, replacing my DLL calls with native G array operations and the new ImageToEDVR along with an IPE, performance goes down by 50%!

CharlesB, on 23 Oct 2014 - 3:52 PM, said:

Everything looks like there's a global lock on IMAQ functions?

Not IMAQ functions. IMAQ references. This maybe explains my confusion about corruption, Yes. IMAQ handles resource locking transparently (same as global variables, local variables, and any other shared resource we use in LabVIEW) so we never have to worry about data corruption (unless we cock up the IMAQ names. of course) ;) Once you have an image inside an IMAQ ref. Never, never manipulate it outside of IMAQ (use only the IMAQ functions like copy, extract etc). Going across the IMAQ boundary (either direction) causes huge performance hits. As AQs signature states "we write C++ so you don't have to".

This apparent "global lock" was solved by some DLL functions that were left calling inside UI thread. I have no performance issue with manipulating IMAQ data outside IMAQ functions, so I would say instead that when done correctly, it can solve performance issue without going into Vision runtime licence costs. I concede that it has the drawback of more complexity, as it adds DLL calls, and need to have maintainers that know both LabVIEW and C++.

If you are pixel bashing singly into an IMAQ reference pretending it is just an array of bytes in memory somewhere using IMAQ SetPixelValue, then you will never achieve performance. Get it in with one block copy inside the DLL and never take the data out into values or arrays. Use the IMAQ functions to manipulate and display the data . This will cure any corruption as you will only receive complete frames via your DLL. If you want, you can implement your triple buffering inside the DLL. Will it be fast enough? Maybe. This is where using NI products have the advantage as the answer would be a resounding "easily".

Anecdotally with yours and my methods I can easily get 400 FPS using a 1024x1024 U8 greyscal image in multiple viewers. I'm actually  simulating acquisition with an animation on a cruddy ol' laptop running all sorts of crap in the background. If I don;t do the animation and just a straight buffer copy from one image to another, I get a thousands of frames/sec. However, I'm not trying to put it into an IMAQ ref a pixel at a time.

I haven't tested the IMAQ functions for manipulating image pixels, because at design time a few years ago I didn't want to pay for the Vision runtime license on each deployment. But they probably have similar or better performance.

As of your benchmark, I'm certainly doing more stuff than just buffer copy, so it's hard to compare.