real time image compression

nazneen

I did chose yet...the sing I picture quality is not so good...which compression techniques would be better...i am new to labview..

Which technique is better? That depends on what you want to do with the image. Can you describe your project in more detail, and tell us how you want to use the image?

Real Time image compression...image that I captured from Basler cam is in .png format ....649*494 size( not exact)..i have to compress ghis image without much degradation in the image quality....its a three months project..not much familiar with labview

Its enough if I compress the images as of now...using those compressed images can be extended for phase 1 of final year ...thanks :)

Really, the Basler API presents you image data in png format? Interesting.

PNG is already compressed. You're done!

Congratulations :)

If you want lossy compression instead, you need to first convert png back to bmp or some sort of raw format and then pass that into your new compression library - unless that library accepts png format.

If this is a final year project, you should be doing more research on that instead of asking what's best.

Also, your "." key seems to be broken

Ok, let me check that I've understood you correctly: You want to compress the image and save it to your hard drive, to view the image in the future. Is that correct?

Can you explain what you mean by "real time"?

image that I captured from Basler cam is in .png format ....649*494 size( not exact).

One thing isn't clear to me: How did you produce this .png image?

PNG is one of the many image compression formats out there. So, if you have a PNG image, that means it's already compressed.

i have to compress ghis image without much degradation in the image quality

You will need to strike a balance between image quality and compression size. For example, see the Write JPEG File compression VI: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361L-01/lvpict/write_jpeg_file/ It lets you choose image quality. If you choose "high quality", you will get less degradation, but a bigger file size.

Note also that PNG is not optimized for compressing photographs, while JPEG was designed for compressing photographs.

Its not a final year project, its a laboratory project. I know that .png is compressed format, my guide asked me to compress the image further. I am scared that I am being misguided, as the image quality is not so good and compressing it further would be a total waste. Can I design a barcode reader using that cam??

And thomasgutzler sir, bingo I already knew that .png is a compressed format. Its NOT a final year project. I am asking for help because I am new to labview.

Thanks anyways:) and yup my '.' Key is working fine, thanks for your concern

Its not a final year project, its a laboratory project. I know that .png is compressed format, my guide asked me to compress the image further. I am scared that I am being misguided, as the image quality is not so good and compressing it further would be a total waste. Can I design a barcode reader using that cam??

And thomasgutzler sir, bingo I already knew that .png is a compressed format. Its NOT a final year project. I am asking for help because I am new to labview.

Thanks anyways:) and yup my '.' Key is working fine, thanks for your concern

There is an example of image compression (using wavelets) in the Advanced Signal Processing toolkit. As it's a no brainer it wouldn't matter if you are being "misguided".

post-15232-0-24855300-1424787024_thumb.p

Edited by ShaunR