Boolean Tag Channel vs Notifier Performance

8 hours ago, rolfk said:

... there might be a fundamental implementation detail in how the OnOccurrence() function, which is what the Wait on Occurrence ultimately ends up calling, (and all those other nodes when they need to wait) in LabVIEW is implemented that takes this much of time.

So there seem to me to be three questions related to this thread:

1. Are Tag Channels appropriate to use in high-throughput loops? If not, that is a fairly significant reduction in the use cases for Tag Channels (i.e. I need to work out in any given situation what the loop time is in relation to an occurrence check).
  2. But if Tag Channels should be considered for fast loops, is the check of an occurrence the appropriate way to implement the Tag Channel?  Could it use Get Notifier Status instead?
  3. If checking an occurrence is best, is the OnOccurrence() function able to be made faster?

Because at the moment, it does look as though it is not feasible to use a Tag Channel where speed is critical.

I'm assuming that other Channel implementations (e.g. Streams) don't have this issue - it looks as though they only check an occurrence if they need to wait because the stream is full.

As far as I know there have been no community examples of making custom channels yet, other than this recent one posted by Stephen.  I believe the hooks or standards for making custom channels hasn't been published yet.  (I was wrong documentation was posted by smithd)

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Channel-Wires/A-new-channel-template-Event-Messenger/gpm-p/3460575

That one in particular is a new type of channel wire that supports registering for a dynamic event.

The instructions are under the FAQ link I posted on the last page. The URL changed to: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Channel-Wires/Getting-Started-With-Channel-Wires/gpm-p/3505658

ps. man this community upgrade is so great, right? If you get the "message not found" error it really means "log in" and if you still get it, apparently the migration made the channel group private so go up one level and join the group.

Edited by smithd
  • Like 1