my Database Toolkit

Hi erverybody,

i have written a database toolkit, because the NI Database Connectivity Toolset is to expensive (4 what it does) and i allready had some trouble with it. the ones who know the NI database connectivity toolset may recognise some similarity ;-)

I was an user of the NI DBCTK when i was at NI, but i am not willing to pay 1000 Euros for a piece of software, which is in my humble oppition just a bulky wrapper arround some ActiveX Methods. Its not worth the price in my eyes. And furthermore i am not convinced that the usage of GOOP shown in NI DBCTK is a programmers masterpiece of object oriented programming in G.

it is now in beta stadium and i would like to ask you, if you could review and comment my work. it's not complete, there are functions for SQL-Server, mySQL, Oracle and dokumentation missing, but it is working well with Access and Excel. I promise to implement the missing functions as soon as i need them ;-)

the toolkit is intended to be free software and is published under the GPL. If the guys from OpenG think its useful, they can have it ...

Installation:

extract the file: "ADO-Tool.zip" in your %labview%/vi.lib/addons folder. There will be a new folder "ADO-Tool". There is no installation routine or something like that. If you want to get rid of it, just delete the ADO-Tool folder and nothing will be left.

2. take a look at the example

extract the file "ado toolkit example.zip" to a folder and open the "access example.vi"

3. please tell me what you think about it.

Attention: maybe you have to download and install the latest MDAC-Drivers from microsoft.com ...

best regards,

cb

Download File:post-885-1114525354.zip

Download File:post-885-1114525355.zip

Hello,

Have you seen LabSQL?

The code you have written is probably very similar, or complementary to it.  In the near future, we will be packaging up LabSQL and releasing it on OpenG Commander.

Regards,

-Jim

4718[/snapback]

no, sorry, i have not yet seen it, but i will have a look, maybe i can save lots of work ...

thanx!

CB

• 4 weeks later...
I look forward to hearing about your experience with it.

Cheers,

4731[/snapback]

Do these ActiveX based tools port well for distribution on different Windows/ADO versions? I've downloaded LabSQL and the VIs were broken, I had to reselect the ActiveX class on controls to repair them. I anticipate a nightmare if I use them in a distributed application.

Do these ActiveX based tools port well for distribution on different Windows/ADO versions? I've downloaded LabSQL and the VIs were broken, I had to reselect the ActiveX class on controls to repair them. I anticipate a nightmare if I use them in a distributed application.

4859[/snapback]

i have to admit, i don't know.

i have tested my toolkit on Windows XP and Windows 2k and it worked well ...

cheerio

CB

BTW: an Update can be found here: ADO Toolkit