subpanel missing button clicks

I have an application that is using subpanels, and I am having some issues where they seem to be missing button clicks. This is sporadic and not isolated to one specific button but seems to happen throughout the application on various screens. I look in the event inspector window and the value change never fires when these events are missed, so it's as if whatever is managing these events is missing it completely. After two or three clicks it will take. I know it's tough to help without a reproducible case, so I am mostly posting this to see if others have run into this behavior because I have been spinning my wheels. 

Edited by GregFreeman

Nope, we have explicit, static registrations for controls in our subpanels. Nothing dynamic or using references. 

We did potentially trace things back to our error logger. We have a subVI that just throws errors in a queue and then a process that flushes the queue every few seconds and logs them. Seems when we aren't logging errors the problem goes away, so I'm not really sure what's going on. Possibly something there blocking our UI thread somehow and events getting missed but the flush and write happens within 100 ms so it definitely still seems a bit strange. Right now it seems the problem may not be happening in the executable and FWIW we are also updating a good amount of controls by reference with defer panel updates set to true. But the VI Analyzer shows this only taking ~50 ms so I'm not convinced that's the issue either.