Mefistotelis

Text descriptions vs Code page

On LabView 2014, I see that my VI files happily store strings using current OS (testing on Windows) code page.

I assume there's no conversion mechanism, and if I use the VI on another OS, or just different language Windows, I will get unreadable mish-mash instead of the proper text?

Is that fixed in LV 2019, or do NI still avoid UTF?

I realize this is not an issue, or at least minimal issue, when you describe things in english and avoid using ascii codes > 127. (though note that even original LV libraries contain OS-specific char codes, mostly a special variants of apostrophe and minus/pause: ` and -.

I though the world has finished moving to unicode more than 15 years ago...

EDIT: Verified on Windows with different language. I do get invalid characters. There is no conversion, LabView just tries to print the characters using current Windows code page, resulting in garbage. How this is still an issue today?

I need to provide the ability to set code page as input parameter to my VI reader.

EDIT2: Now i know everything I need - see "Character Code Issues" chapter:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/372614J-01/lvconcepts/porting_among_platforms/

It's funny how lack of proper string conversion is called "compatibility feature". Reading the chapter gives you a feeling that LabView supports the conversion whenever possible, but it doesn't seem to be the reality.

Edited by Mefistotelis

19 hours ago, Mefistotelis said:

Is that fixed in LV 2019, or do NI still avoid UTF

LabVIEW NXG uses UTF-8 for all text strings.

I think classic LabVIEW (version 20xx) will unlikely ever get full Unicode support.

No Classic LabVIEW doesn't and it never will. It assumes a string to be in whatever encoding the current user session has. That's for most LabVIEW installations out there codepage 1252 (over 90% of LabVIEW installations run on Windows and most of them on Western Windows installations).

When LabVIEW classic was developed (around end of the 80ies of the last century codepages was the best thing out there that could be used for different installations and Unicode didn't even exist. The first Unicode proposal is from 1988 and proposed a 16 bit Unicode alphabet. Microsoft was in fact an early adaptor and implemented it for its Windows NT system as 16 bit encoding based on this standard. Only in 1996 was Unicode 2.0 released which extended the Unicode character space to 21 bits. LabVIEW does support so called multibyte character encodings as used for many Asian codepages and on systems like Linux where nowadays UTF-8 (in principle also simply a multibyte encoding) is the standard user encoding it supports that too as this is transparent in the underlaying C runtime. Windows doesn't let you set your ANSI codepage to UTF-8 however, otherwise LabVIEW would use that too (although I would expect that there could be some artefacts somewhere from assumptions LabVIEW does when calling certain Windows APIs that might not match how Microsoft would have implemented the UTF-8 emulation for its ANSI codepage.

By the time the Unicode standard was mature and the various implementations on the different platforms were more or less working LabVIEW's 8-bit character encoding based on the standard encoding was so deeply engrained that full support for Unicode had turned into a major project of its own.  There were several internal projects to work towards that which eventually turned into a normally hidden Unicode feature that can be turned on through an INI token. The big problem with that was that the necessary changes touched just about every code in LabVIEW somehow and hence this Unicode feature is not always producing consistent results for every code path. Also there are many unsolved issues where the internal LabVIEW strings need to connect to external interfaces. Most instruments for instance won't understand UTF-8 in any way although that problem is one of the smaller ones as the used character set is usually strictly limited to ASCII 7-bit and there the UTF-8 standard is basically byte for byte compatible.

So you can dig up the INI key and turn Unicode in LabVIEW on. It will give extra properties for all control elements to set them to use Unicode text interpretation for almost all text (sub)elements instead but the support doesn't for instance extend to paths and many other internal facilities unless the underlaying encoding is already set to UTF-8. Also strings in VIs while stored as UTF-8 are not flagged as such as non Unicode enabled LabVIEW versions couldn't read them, creating the same problem you have with VIs stored on a non Western codepage system and then trying to read them on a system with a different encoding.

If Unicode support is an important feature for you, you will want to start to use LabVIEW NXG. And exactly because of the existence of LabVIEW NXG there will be no effort put in LabVIEW Classic to improve its Unicode support. To make it really work you would have to rewrite large parts of the LabVIEW code base substantially and that is exactly what one of the tasks for LabVIEW NXG was about.

• Like 2

Great overview, thank you.

What LabVIEW could have done is just storing the information about code page used for the VI. That would then allow conversion when the sting is displayed on screen, if necessary. But since there's no info on codepage within the VI, I implemented it as a parameter (the tool I made exports VI to XML and within the XML the encoding is UTF-8) :

https://github.com/mefistotelis/pylabview/blob/master/README.md#text-code-pages

5 hours ago, Rolf Kalbermatter said:

over 90% of LabVIEW installations run on Windows and most of them on Western Windows installations

I think if you don't live in western country, you might have different view on that. Even if the 90% statistics is true (it sounds iffy to me, but I have no data to subvert it), people from other countries probably mostly see VIs created near them.

I've seen a lot of VIs with asian language, probably Chinese. I can't even read the alphabet, so can't tell for sure which code page is there. Sometimes when there's longer description, I can just check with Google translate; but there are often 1-2 words only, ie. in names of interfaces. The translator then either gives something plausible for many code pages, or non-technical term for all of them. When I get connector name and see  "stick noodles" for Chinese translation (w/ their code page), and "fluffy neckcloth" for Japanese (w/ their code page), I still can't tell the origin of that file. Nor what the connector does. (I never got these specific words, but what I got wasn't very far).

Anyway, there's a lot of people in China. And a lot of factories, which do semi-automated Quality Assurance. Such tasks might be often handled with help of LabVIEW.