Error 7 (Missing cache?) from build.vi

I get an error 7, file missing error when I run the app builder Build.vi provided by NI (visible in the palettes).

NI_LVConfig.lvlib:Load.vi<ERR> C:\Users\MichaelA\AppData\Local\Temp\AB_Cache_{DD695C27-7E5F-4A88-8B25-B389D65799CC}.txt <b>Complete call chain:</b>      NI_LVConfig.lvlib:Load.vi      NI_LVConfig.lvlib:Open Config Data.vi      AB_RW_Project_Cache_Info.vi      BuildMonitor_Clean.vi      CleanTarget.vi      NI_App_Builder_API.lvlib:Clean.vi      build exe - vishots.vi      Build_App2.vi

I've seen this issue a few times with various projects. I'm not sure what causes it, but there's no way to recover from it quickly. The only thing that fixes it, that I've found, is to manually execute a build from the project build spec. This seems to fix the missing cache issue. After a manual build is done, Automated builds using the build.vi work as expected without errors, multiple times.

Totally long shot this, but could it be a path length issue? I have not tried to do what you are trying to do, but have in the past seen builds sporadically fail due to the length of the path of some VI exceeding the windows limit of 260 characters (or something like that). As soon as I tried to build into something like c:\temp the problem wen away!

This was years ago I have to say, and in more recent versions of Windows it is possible to work around this with a small change to the registry.

• 1 year later...

I have an inkling here... This has suddenly appeared in my project and is entirely co-incident with the commit at which I added the JKI VI Tester to the project 10 days ago to change my development methodology. No other NI updates or environment updates have been run.
the build spec at a previous working commit won't compile either.
I' wondering if there is any relation here and the VI Tester is screwing with the Build spec.
for me it is the clean. function that has suddenly gone up the spout. I've been building and testing manually for over a year with a pre-build clean and post build action too but the pre-build clean seems to be dead the first time I've tried to run it after building since setting up the VI Tester tests.

James