Is there any way to get vi's version programmly?

Here is a solution.  This will find its way into the OpenG file library soon...

5372[/snapback]

Thanks Jim! :thumbup:

But how to transfer the LV version in file information cluster to real LabVIEW version?

That is :

How the LV version constructed? How many parts included in the LabView version ? How to explan it?

...LabVIEW\vi.lib\Utility\Libraryn.llb has these files of interest for dealing with the version #.

- App Version to I32

- I32 to App Version

- App Version to String.vi

Using Jim's VI posted previously together with the I32 to App Version and App Version to String, you can format the version to a string, just like the Application Method (Get VI Version). The Application Method returns the version both as a string and as the raw U32 LabVIEW internal format.

The internal format of the U32 version (according to the documentation) is as follows:

- U8 - Major Version

- U4 - Minor Version

- U4 - Minor Minor (bugFix) Version

- U4 - Stage

.............. 0x2 = Devevelopment

.............. 0x4 = Alfa

.............. 0x6 = Beta

.............. 0x8 = Release

- U12 - Build Count

recently I use LabVIEW version Chooser, Feeling cool!

so I want to ask:

Is ther any way to get vi's version programmly? Thanks all!

5371[/snapback]

LAVA has to fix the RSS feeds! Sorry I didn't answer sooner but I never saw the post. Jim your solution seems a bit extreme, why not just use the application method "Get VI Version" thats what I use in LVC.

post-987-1123015809.png?width=400

Here's another approach, but it will not work on VIs inside of llbs.  I have only done some very limited testing but it appears to work on LV 6.0 and above.  I don't have a 5.1 file but 5.0 files have a different offset.

Download File:post-987-1123081710.vi

5511[/snapback]

This method is the quick and dirty "read the file header" method which is also the most unreliable and likely to fail. Not only will this break possibly for new versions but it will also not work for files in version 7.0/7.1/7.1.1 where the header is not at the same offset. Not to mention your previous observation that it doesn't work for files in an .llb (unless you dump them to disk).