Dynamic Generation of Labview 8.0 Class Hierarchy

The title says it all.

Like this utility, this one dynamically generate the LV8.0 Class Hierarchy.

post-121-1130213210.png?width=400

If you dont want to wait the 15-45min (LV 8.0 has about 220 classes, thus the increased in time to generate all the combinations) for the generation to complete, you can just open the provided file.

post-121-1130213197.png?width=400

Have Fun

PJM

Download File:post-121-1130213263.zip

Just in case you haven't noticed it, 8.0 already has a built in class browser, which also allows you to drag property and invoke nodes directly to the diagram (yeah!!!). Is there any advantage your version has over it (other than working for earlier versions - I have it in 7.0)?

Just in case you haven't noticed it, 8.0 already has a built in class browser, which also allows you to drag property and invoke nodes directly to the diagram (yeah!!!). Is there any advantage your version has over it (other than working for earlier versions - I have it in 7.0)?

NI Disable part of the scripting in LV8.0. Therefore the class browser does not show any of the class hierachy for the diagram related classes such as Master Diagram, Diagram, tunnel, nodes ...... (see below)

post-121-1130692775.png?width=400

This utility does show the *complete* (as far as I know) class hierachy and demonstrate how to build it.

PJM

NI Disable part of the scripting in LV8.0. Therefore the class browser does not show any of the class hierachy for the diagram related classes such as Master Diagram, Diagram, tunnel, nodes ......

But since we can't access those classes anyway (at least for now), that seems to be at least partly irrelevant. It appears that the LV class browser exposes classes according to how you use LV (which makes sense) - if you used the scripting key we know about, you get some of the hidden stuff. I assume (perhaps wrongly) that when the other key is used, you will get the other classes as well.

PJM, Got this error message when trying to open your VI:

Get Class Name and ID for a Specific LV Version__ClassHierarchyBuilder.vi

- The control expected to be at "C:\Documents and Settings\LV Classes Name & Id Tools\Custom Controls\Class Active Status - Enum -.ctl" was loaded from ...

No control found for the typedef so I tried to make the control a typedef and it still didn't like that. I eventually deleted the whole event which builds the class list in order to see the saved file.

Ok so now that I can actually see the tree....

Is there anyone who can figure out how to create these items using the New Object function or something similiar? (I think it was called New Object).

PJM, Got this error message when trying to open your VI:

Get Class Name and ID for a Specific LV Version__ClassHierarchyBuilder.vi

- The control expected to be at "C:\Documents and Settings\LV Classes Name & Id Tools\Custom Controls\Class Active Status - Enum -.ctl" was loaded from ...

No control found for the typedef so I tried to make the control a typedef and it still didn't like that. I eventually deleted the whole event which builds the class list in order to see the saved file.

My bad. I dont know how this one slip through the crack. You could just find the strict type def call and right click on it and say disconnect from type def.

Attached is a fixed version (hopefully bug free)

Is there anyone who can figure out how to create these items using the New Object function or something similiar? (I think it was called New Object).

Which Item? The Class Specifier Constant ?

If so the llb has code in it to do that.

PJM

Edit:Doh! Forgot the modified Attachement.

Download File:post-121-1130901184.zip

But since we can't access those classes anyway (at least for now), that seems to be at least partly irrelevant. It appears that the LV class browser exposes classes according to how you use LV (which makes sense) - if you used the scripting key we know about, you get some of the hidden stuff. I assume (perhaps wrongly) that when the other key is used, you will get the other classes as well.

Have you looked at the code? Do you need everything spelled out for you?

If you dont want to wait the 15-45min (LV 8.0 has about 220 classes, thus the increased in time to generate all the combinations) for the generation to complete, you can just open the provided file.

PJM

It takes about 15min. on my machine. Also, you can add the following bit of code to display the pre-made hierarchy faster. This will avoid having to wait for the list to populate:

post-2-1131218311.png?width=400

Have you looked at the code? Do you need everything spelled out for you?

I don't understand this either. I haven't looked at the 8.0 version, but I know exactly what the 7.0 version does and I assume this does the same. I still say that if you can't access the classes exposed using this tool, then it is still partly irrelevant (it's good to know the class tree, but you can't do anything with it, so it's "worthless"). Like I said, I assume that when you use the INI key which exposes these properties and methods, you will see them in NI's class browser, thus removing that "flaw" in it.

What does that mean? I understand PJM's post you quoted--these questions I don't.

I still say that if you can't access the classes exposed using this tool, then it is still partly irrelevant (it's good to know the class tree, but you can't do anything with it, so it's "worthless").

There's an old saying... "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" ;)

• 3 months later...