ETS Question

djolivet

Has anyone had any experience getting LabVIEW RT to run on single board computers. I've had some work and some simply not load at all. The latest is a SBC with an INTEL 845GV chipset. It loads from floppy and even sees the Harddrive in LabVIEW, but it will not load from the Harddrive. I can load it from the format disk, and it appears to see that LabVIEW RT is there, because it says "Loading LabVIEW Real-Time....." but it never accesses the Harddrive and eventually says "Could not find OS in root directory." I've tried different formats of the drive, different partition sizes, bios settings galore, etc. -- all with no luck.

It may just be the chipset does not work with LabVIEW RT, but according to Ardence, there is no issue with Pharlap; so, it would be LabVIEW specific. In the past, I've had great success with the Intel 815E chipset, but I'm changing the form factor to a PCISA based backplane and so I need to find a compatible SBC.

Please note, that we are using the built in 8255X based ethernet connection. I've tried it with the built in Ethernet and an Intel Pro 100/S with the same results.

Has anyone had any experience getting LabVIEW RT to run on single board computers. I've had some work and some simply not load at all. The latest is a SBC with an INTEL 845GV chipset. It loads from floppy and even sees the Harddrive in LabVIEW, but it will not load from the Harddrive. I can load it from the format disk, and it appears to see that LabVIEW RT is there, because it says "Loading LabVIEW Real-Time....." but it never accesses the Harddrive and eventually says "Could not find OS in root directory." I've tried different formats of the drive, different partition sizes, bios settings galore, etc. -- all with no luck.

It may just be the chipset does not work with LabVIEW RT, but according to Ardence, there is no issue with Pharlap; so, it would be LabVIEW specific. In the past, I've had great success with the Intel 815E chipset, but I'm changing the form factor to a PCISA based backplane and so I need to find a compatible SBC.

Please note, that we are using the built in 8255X based ethernet connection. I've tried it with the built in Ethernet and an Intel Pro 100/S with the same results.

I recently had some issues installing Labview RT ETS on some "standard" Pentium 4 based PCs, and found the following:

1) It appears as if hard drive partitions of >32 GB are not supported, even though FAT32 can be formatted to >32GB. (This had me chasing my tail for a couple of days)

:throwpc:

2) I once forgot to make the harddrive "boot" partition a "primary partition" via FDISK. (This had me chasing my tail for a day or so)

:throwpc:

Hope this helps,

-Pete Liiva

Is the Hard drive formatted for FAT32?

How about the boot sequence? Is it set to A drive and then C drive?

I think the chipset might be a problem. As far as I remember they support a chipset that is not commercially available anymore. You should check with NI on this.

Also if you are using LV-RT 7x, you need to download lvalarms.dll from your Desktop using the FTP tool in NI-MAX. There is a bug in the lvalarms.dll that gets built in. <<Check the knowledgebase for detailed info about where to find the lvalarms.dll file on your pc and where to place it on your target.

Also if you are using LV-RT 7x, you need to download lvalarms.dll from your Desktop using the FTP tool in NI-MAX. There is a bug in the lvalarms.dll that gets built in. <<Check the knowledgebase for detailed info about where to find the lvalarms.dll file on your pc and where to place it on your target.

Oh yeah, that's a biggie. That was the third thing I was going to mention, but held back only because I don't think that it affects the boot up of the system. I found that forgetting to replace the lvalarms.dll would cause the system to hang whenever I downloaded to the RT system an application that had any of the RT Timer functions in it. It would hang during the download. I seem to use the Timer functions alot in the small amount of real time environment development I've done up to this point. :headbang:

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that I think that if the system seems happy(ish) booting off of the floppy, that the chipset might not be the problem. But, as always, YMMV.

-Pete Liiva