Serial Read

Joost van Hamond

Hi everyone,

I've got a multimeter with a RS232 output. I would like to see the data send by this device in my LabVIEW program.

I made a program with: "Serial Port Init.VI", "Bytes at Serial Port.VI" and "Serial Port Read.VI".

When I run the program, I get no errors, but I don't receive any data out of my multimeter!! :( And it keeps on running waiting for some input I think.......

If you've got solution or just some comment, please tell me!

Thanks. Cheers,

Joost

First of read you must write a query command, for example read? or fetch? or data?; in sequence is first init.vi, after write with a string command query, the bytes at serial port and the read.vi, you can insert the write-bytescount-read in a while loop, and remember in the out of loop close with close visa.vi

I hope this useful for you.

sorry for bad english.

Hi everyone,

I've got a multimeter with a RS232 output. I would like to see the data send by this device in my LabVIEW program.

I made a program with: "Serial Port Init.VI", "Bytes at Serial Port.VI" and "Serial Port Read.VI".

When I run the program, I get no errors, but I don't receive any data out of my multimeter!! :( And it keeps on running waiting for some input I think.......

If you've got solution or just some comment, please tell me!

Thanks. Cheers,

Joost

You can find a serial driver for Black Star 4503 at

http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/niid_web_displa...034080020E74861

and at least a GPIB driver for Keithley 2410 at

http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/niid_web_displa...rv_type=&p_int=

:2cents:

Manfred

I tried both of them, but my computer crashed both times. So I think it's a problem with my LabVIEW or my computer. Thanks anyway...... :thumbup:

• 1 month later...
Oke! My program is working. I still don't know why:

When I connect my RS232 cable into my multimeter the program doesn't receive data (but is running). When I connect pin 2 of my RS232 cable to pin 2 of my multimeter my program receives data!!! :blink:

I still have to find out what's going on........

I suggest you to use a oscilloscope to capture the data, instead of DMM.

When I connect pin 2 of my RS232 cable to pin 2 of my multimeter my program receives data!!!

Joost,

If connecting Pin 2 to 2 works, then you probably need a "straight" serial cable, as opposed to a null-modem serial cable where the RX and TX pins are crossed.

Regards,

-Khalid