I can CREATE a snippet, I just can't USE a snippet

Haven't used snippets in a while but tried to import something today. The link below explains how to allow me to drag/drop.

Unfortunately my company uses named user licensing and when I start LV as my admin user, I can't get a license. Oof...

8yrb9h.jpg.40e517d52023b22918656c15cd239c78.jpg

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000001DqWxCAK&l=en-US

Edited by Phillip Brooks
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
50 minutes ago, hooovahh said:

I just tested one from NI's site and it was fine without needing to run as admin.

I believe you got it backwards. Run LabVIEW as admin and try to import a snippet. It's a no no...

Run LabVIEW as normal user and snippets work just fine.

56 minutes ago, hooovahh said:

That's a neat little trick, thanks for sharing!

Posted (edited)

So I followed the link, and noticed that the snippet image includes a small icon when I hover over it.

33772306_snippetstep1.jpg.79fc43155d789d5672a0f41d1a923fed.jpg

Click on that and I get a pop-up of just the image

1462368699_snippetstep2.jpg.fc6fce40d3400718398622035abb46f1.jpg

I can drag/drop that on my block diagram!

Some snippets must be older and not work directly. 

If you go to here:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/How-can-I-get-a-UTC-timestamp/m-p/4061558/highlight/true#M1165825

and drag/drop the 2019 snippet, it works directly. If you try to use the image below that (2016) it just gives you the link. If you click on the image (not the pop-out) you get what looks like the pop-out but can't drag/drop that. Use the pop-out arrow of the 2016 snippet and you can drag/drop that.

I imagine there is an NI thread somewhere that documents this, but at thins point I feel like I'm debugging a Python module compatability problem.

Edited by Phillip Brooks
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

141004362_MyLAVASnippet.png.c57b8f010ec9c0e8ead46a557d2439f5.png

I remember something about a snippet storing the vi infon using image metadata and that hosts/portals often will strip image metadata because it is a vector for inserting viruses.

LAVA seems to strip the metadata

Edited by Phillip Brooks
1 hour ago, Phillip Brooks said:

Click on that and I get a pop-up of just the image

I actually never bothered to click on that and simply assumed that it does the same as selecting the image 😅

1 hour ago, Phillip Brooks said:

LAVA seems to strip the metadata

Yes, this has been known for a long time. You wouldn't believe who reported it first 😄

Edited by LogMAN
  • Haha 2